Info on DGH funding for fieldwork, student hardship fund and more.



Assistantships: At the University of Washington, there are three types of graduate student assistantships:

  • Teaching Assistant: work with students in a classroom, lab, or quiz section setting
  • Research Assistant: work on research projects; does not involve teaching
  • Staff Assistant: other types of duties such as, advising or administration

You may hear about ASE positions open to all graduate students from the following sources:


Awards, FELLOWSHIPS, and Scholarships

Fellowships are competitive awards that generally do not require service (i.e., work) as part of the award. They are intended to fund your academic study and research. Fellowships may be offered by your department, the University, the federal government or private agencies. Here you can search fellowships and get tips for applying.

The Fogarty International Center, the international component of the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), maintains a directory listing of international grants and fellowships in biomedical and behavioral research for pre-doctoral and graduate researchers. Its goal is to provide information about additional funding opportunities available to those in the field of global health research.

The Fulbright programs offer funding for graduating seniors and graduate students to support travel abroad for study or research. There are two Fulbright programs available. The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is for all graduating seniors and graduate students and is administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE). The Fulbright-Hays Program is for doctoral candidates to conduct dissertation research and is administered by the U.S. Department of Education (USEd). Here for Post-doc opportunities.

International Research and Study Fellowship applications  Successful applicants are awarded either a Chester Fritz Fellowship or a Boeing International Fellowship.  The fellowships are available to fund research and/or study periods of one quarter (three full months) abroad during the 2020-2021 year (Autumn 2020- Summer 2021). 

Johns Hopkins Fellowships in the Amazon: Learn more about positions for Medical Student (3rd or 4th year) and Infectious Disease Fellow in the Peruvian Amazon. Johns Hopkins University-led NIH-funded project on the transmission dynamics of Shigella seeks young investigators interested in a career in tropical medicine. Candidates must commit a minimum of four months. Stipend and travel funds available  Contact Margaret Kosek at for more information.

Apply for the PHI/CDC Global Health Fellowship Program. PHI/CDC Global Health Fellowship Program offers recent global and public health graduates from CEPH-accredited schools and programs the opportunity to work with leading CDC experts to apply academic knowledge to real world situations.



Graduate & Professional Student Senate

UW Seattle graduate and professional students currently enrolled and in good academic standing may apply for this travel grant. Active participation at an academic conference is mandatory and proof of acceptance is required with this application.

Learn more about eligibility and how to apply here:

University of Washington Graduate School

Conference presentation awards assist graduate students with travel fares and conference registration fees for conferences at which they will present papers, posters, performances, or installations.

Learn more about eligibility and how to apply here:

Department of Global Health

Conference funding is available to DGH students through the Graduate School and through the Graduate and Professional Student Senate (GPSS). All DGH students interested in applying for conference funding should apply to these sources first and will not be eligible for DGH funding if they receive funding through GPSS or the UW Graduate School. It can take time for decisions to be made on conference funding requests and students are encouraged to apply as early as possible.

Applications for DGH conference funding may be submitted in Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters. The application will close during Summer quarter. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and the application will close once funds are exhausted. Incomplete and/or retroactive applications will not be considered. Funding comes to recipients as reimbursement only. Recipients will be given further instructions for reimbursement upon application approval.


If the student’s request for conference funding is denied by both the UW Graduate School and GPSS, then the student will be eligible to apply for Dept. of Global Health conference funding.

Students must be approved to formally share their work at the conference through a presentation, poster presentation, or panelist to be eligible for DGH conference (Attendance only will not be considered.)

Each DGH student is eligible to receive DGH conference funding once per academic year.

Recipients must be enrolled in a DGH graduate program, be in good academic standing, and be making satisfactory progress in their DGH degree program.

Upon approval, the recipient is required to enroll in the UW Travel Registration and Insurance Purchase (TRIP) and must provide proof of enrollment before reimbursement will be issued.


Recipients can be reimbursed for up to $300.00 for participation in in-person domestic conferences or participation in virtual conferences, and up to $500 for participation in in-person outside of the United States.

Recipients can be reimbursed for the following:

  • Poster printing costs
  • Travel costs (airfare, taxis, etc.)
  • Lodging (up to three nights)
  • Meals
  • Conference registration

Recipients cannot be reimbursed for expenses outside of the items listed above. If the recipient is participating in an in-person conference outside of the United States, proof of enrollment in TRIP for the duration of travel is required prior to reimbursement. (This requirement applies to all students, including international students travelling to their country of citizenship.) Please note: DGH cannot provide a specific time by which conference funding recipients will receive their reimbursement. We do our best to get funds to recipients in a timely manner.


Students applying for DGH conference funding must complete and submit the following:

  1. Documentation of denial of request for conference funding from the UW Graduate School
  2. Documentation of denial of request for conference funding from GPSS
  3. Documentation of formal sharing of work at the conference (abstract acceptance, confirmation of panel participation, etc.)
  4. Short letter of support from faculty mentor that addresses the following questions: Do you support the students’ participation in this conference? Is the student in good academic standing? Is the student making satisfactory progress in their DGH graduate degree program?
  5. Completion of the Online Application Form.

Questions about DGH Conference Funding? Reach out to Kirsten Greene at

Other Resources

Some Centers, Programs, and Initiatives (CPIs) may have funding for student employees attending conferences. If you work with a CPI under the Department of Global Health, you can reach out to your CPI to learn more about this possibility.


Funding for Global Health Fieldwork

DGH Funding for Fieldwork lists the funding opportunities that are managed by Department of Global Health for travel and project support for international fieldwork including thesis, practicum, clinical, and career development experiences. These funds are housed in the Department of Global Health and the School of Public Health Deans Office.

AMSA International Health: American Medical Student Association collection of resources and opportunities for students

APHA Global Opportunities: American Public Health Association Global Health Resources page

The Benjamin H. Kean Travel Fellowship in Tropical Medicine is awarded annually to support medical students involved in clinical or research electives in tropical areas. The Fellowship is designed to encourage young people to continue their work in tropical medicine and hygiene and recognize their achievements so far.

Jackson School of International Studies funding website lists a number of funding opportunities to UW students including:


Additional UW Resources

UW Emergency Aid:

Office of Financial Aid
The Office of Student Financial Aid has counselors available to speak with you about aid options, including grants, loans, scholarships, and general guidance for money management. This story discusses financial aid emergency funds as well as food access and lays out how the process works. 

Campus Food Pantry
The Campus Food Pantry is open three days a week in Poplar Hall. Anyone with a Husky ID may access the pantry. Appointments for urgent need are also available and can be set up via email or phone call.

Counseling Center
The Counseling Center provides free support services that can help with the stress and emotion that comes with unexpected circumstances.

Short Term Loans
The Office of Student Financial Aid has short term loan funds available to students who are experiencing temporary cash flow issues. You may receive up to $2500 or $3200 for undergraduates and graduate students, respectively.

LiveWell: Center for Student Advocacy, Training, and Education
The LiveWell office offers student care, support, and education on important mental and physical well-being topics.

Food Security Grant
The Food Security Grant is a $100 award that does not need to be repaid and can be used at HFS dining facilities on campus.

Hall Health
Hall Health has free services available, including unlimited medical advice from Consulting Nurses, mental health referrals, light therapy for Seasonal Affective Disorder, and assistance enrolling in and using medical insurance. They also provide paid services, such as immunizations, therapy and counseling, and other medical procedures.

Student Technology Loan Program
Currently enrolled UW students can borrow laptops, cameras, and other technology equipment for free through the student technology loan program.

Housing & Food Services
HFS serves students who live and dine on campus and offers information and resources regarding finances, including access to their account information, billing information, payment due dates, and more.

Library Account Services
Library Account Services staff may be able to help UW students and staff if they find themselves without means to pay a late fee, lost items fee, or other challenge. Talking with a member of their team may help to your answer questions and concerns.