The Department of Global Health manages fellowships that offer financial assistance to graduate and professional students at the University of Washington to help support in-depth fieldwork experiences in global health. 

All travel fellowship recipients must abide by all fellowship, Department of Global Health, and University of Washington policies that pertain to travel under the fellowship. Failure to do so may result in the withdrawal of a fellowship.

Warren George Povey Endowed Fund for Global Health Fellowship

The Warren George Povey Endowed Fund for Global Health Fellowship provides financial assistance of up to $4,000 to students at the University of Washington to support their travel. First preference will be given to full-time graduate students working toward a degree in the Department of Global Health, or undergraduate students enrolled in the Public Health-Global Health major or Global Health Minor.  Preference will also be given to students studying or engaged in work related to maternal, reproductive and child health in low-income settings. 

The Warren George Povey Endowed Fund for Global Health Fellowship 2024-2025 application is now open. The application deadline is April 3, 2024 at 11:59pm PST. The application and instructions may be downloaded here.

Department of Global Health Fieldwork Travel Funding

The Department of Global Health offers student travel support up to $4000 to complete global health activities abroad as part student education at the University of Washington.  Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until May 1, 2024 or until funds are exhausted, and should be submitted around 90 days prior to proposed travel dates.

The application is now open. The full application, including eligibility information and instructions, may be downloaded here

Additional Funding & Fieldwork Programs

Many Departments and Centers at the University of Washington offer fieldwork experience and some offer funding. Discover additional opportunities by visiting their websites.

Travel Preparation

Information on UW administrative processes for global travel, education and research can be found on the Office of Global Affairs website. Please consult your program, department, or school for their specific requirements including orientations or documentation.

OANDA, FXConverter (Foreign Exchange Currency Converter) is a multi-lingual currency converter with up to date exchange rates provided from leading market data contributors and is filtered for validity. Get exchange rates for 164 currencies.

University of Washington Hall Health Travel Clinic offers pre-travel counseling, immunizations, and health advice for adults and children who are planning to travel out of the U.S. or Canada. The clinic is a Washington State Department of Health-designated center for yellow fever vaccine. Pre-travel consultations are available by appointment. Travelers will be asked to complete a questionnaire regarding travel plans. It is important to bring all immunization records available. Because several weeks may be required to complete a needed vaccine series, we recommend the initial appointment be held at least 4 weeks before departure. You should telephone for an appointment two weeks before that, if possible. When this is not possible, the clinic will meet your travel health needs as completely as the time allows.

Additional clinic locations are listed on the UW Medicine Travel Medicine page.

Center for Disease Control and Prevention Traveler's Health Health information for specific destinations and what to know before you depart.

The UW Department of Global Health has compiled a sexual misconduct resource guide for students that provides information on organizations that assist UW students and employees who have experienced sexual misconduct if they are in the US or abroad. The UW Office of the Title IX Coordinator also has excellent resources.

A comprehensive list of insurance for UW staff and faculty can be found through the Global Operations Support. For UW students traveling abroad on official UW programs, please see information on Study Abroad Insurance. For international visitors to the UW, visit the International Students and Scholars "Other Insurance" page.


For students traveling with UW programs, contact UW Study Abroad for the University of Washington travel registry, For individual students, staff, and faculty traveling abroad on UW official business, contact the International Travel and Security Manager, Pascal Schuback,


For US Citizens, register your travel with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. When you sign up, you will automatically receive the most current information we compile about the country where you will be traveling or living.  You will also receive updates, including Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts (where appropriate).

For non-US Citizens travelling abroad, please contact your embassy for travel registration and documentation for international travel.

U.S. Department of State, Consular Services
Passports, visas and consulate information for U.S. citizens and citizens of foreign countries. Also includes information about international law and policy. To find out more information about traveling safely abroad visit the U.S. State Department Students Abroad page.