To declare the minor, arrange to see your major adviser and tell him or her that you want to declare the Global Health Minor. You will need to complete a simple form with your major adviser to be returned to the Registrar's office in Schmitz Hall.

Students wishing to declare the Global Health Minor must have a) completed 45 credits and b) have a declared major.

Yes, you may, but you must be sure to take at least one course per elective area with your total elective credits equaling a minimum of 19 credits.

No, you may take the core classes in any sequence. This includes the Perspectives in Global Health series (G H 401/402/403), which are nonsequential and may be taken in any order.

There are usually no restrictions unless there are too many overlapping credits. You may only have 15 credits from the minor overlap with the requirements for your major(s). Create a course plan with your major adviser about how you plan to finish your major, then visit a Global Health Minor adviser to talk about how you can fit classes towards the minor into your schedule.

You may submit an exception request via a catalyst survey to us. In addition, you must submit a syllabus for each course requested to Exception requests can only be submitted for elective courses. Exceptions will not be accepted for core coursework. All requests will be reviewed by the advisers and/or faculty director and if approved, will be reflected in DARS. It may take one to several weeks for an exception to be approved.

Any course at the 300, 400, or 500 level is considered upper division.

A quarter before you graduate, please email us and let us know that you would like a degree audit for the minor. If you have met all of the requirements of the minor, we will submit the approval with our signature via DARS. You must speak to the minor adviser to be approved to graduate with the minor, via email or in person, otherwise you will be in danger of not graduating due to an incomplete degree.


The best way to make an appointment is to email the advisors at

Our staff offers advising on a part-time basis, so pre-arranged appointments are highly encouraged. If you would like to drop-in, check the website for drop-in hours. We are located in Raitt Hall Room 229-D.

Yes, we provide quarterly informational sessions, where we give general information on the minor and then take questions individually from students present. Check our website for dates and times.

Study Abroad

The minor office does not hold specific information on study abroad programs. The best place to learn more about study abroad programs is through the UW Study Abroad Office.

You may submit a request via a catalyst survey to us. We may accept up to 5 credits of your study abroad experience. You must specify in the survey which elective area you want your study abroad counted towards. Most students choose the Regional and Area Studies elective, but it depends on the program and what you learned throughout your experience. All requests will be reviewed by the advisers and/or faculty director and if approved, will be reflected in DARS. It may take one to several weeks for an exception to be approved.

No, study abroad experiences typically consist of course work and are lead by faculty.  We are only able to consider exception requests for study abroad experiences, if: a) there is a UW course number appearing on your transcript, and b) if there is some type of faculty supervision involved.