Curriculum requirements for the Global Health Minor are outlined below. Students are encouraged to meet with an adviser to discuss the subject matter of the minor and plans for completing the minor before declaring to ensure that all requirements are understood and can be met.
Note: As of June 2019 GH 403 is now GH 201. GH Minor students were previously required to take GH 401, 402, and 403. Minor students are now required to take GH 201, 401, and 402. If you have already taken GH 403, you do not need to take GH 201. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Required Courses 11 credits
- Introductory Course 5 credits
- G H 101 Introduction to Global Health: Disparities, Determinants, Policies & Outcomes (5) Autumn 2020 (online) / Winter 2021 (online) / Spring 2021(in-person: recommended)
- Biologic Principles in Global Health 3 credits (choose one)
- G H 210 Confronting Global Diseases: Introductory Biologic Principles and Context (3) Spring 2021
- G H 410 Advanced Biologic Principles of Global Diseases (3) Winter 2021
Prerequisite: BIOL 180, MICROM 301, or G H 210 (must take one)
- Perspectives in Global Health Series 3 credits (must take all three; nonsequential)
- G H 201 Multidisciplinary Perspectives in Global Health (1) Autumn 2020
- G H 401 Core Topics in Global Health (1) Autumn 2020
- G H 402 Contemporary Issues in Global Health (1) Winter 2021
- Optional additional 1-credit discussion section available for all three courses - see time schedule to register
Elective Areas 19 credits
Must take one class in each Elective Area. Elective area descriptions are located here.
A. The Environment & Global Health
B. Comparative Health Systems & Approaches to Health
C. Sociocultural Ecology of Health
D. Regional & Area Studies
- Minimum of 30 credits required to complete the minor
- Minimum of 15 credits unique to the minor (not shared with major) – Only 15 credits can overlap with your major!
- Minimum of 15 credits of upper division coursework (300-/400-/500-level)
- Minimum of 15 credits must be completed at the University of Washington
- Minimum of 2.0 in every course applied towards the minor
- Courses taken S/NS cannot be counted toward a minor