Undergraduate Programs

Enrollment / Graduation

To declare the minor, arrange to see your major adviser and tell him or her that you want to declare the Global Health Minor. You will need to complete a simple form with your major adviser to be returned to the Registrar's office in Schmitz Hall.

Students wishing to declare the Global Health Minor must have a) completed 45 credits and b) have a declared major.

There are no restrictions for majors completing the minor unless there are too many credits overlapping between the two programs. You may only have 15 credits from the minor overlap with the requirements for your major(s). Create a course plan with your major adviser about how you plan to finish your major, then visit a Global Health Minor adviser to talk about how you can fit classes towards the minor into your schedule.

A quarter before you graduate, please email us and let us know that you would like a degree audit for the minor. If you have met all of the requirements of the minor, we will submit the approval with our signature via DARS. You must speak to the minor adviser to be approved to graduate with the minor, via email or in person, otherwise you will be in danger of not graduating due to an incomplete degree.


The best way to make an appointment is to email the advisor at ghminor@uw.edu.

Our staff offers advising on a part-time basis, so pre-arranged appointments are highly encouraged. If you would like to drop in, check the website for drop-in hours.

Yes, we provide quarterly informational sessions, where we give general information on the minor and then take questions individually from students present. Check our website for dates and times.


Yes, you may, but you must be sure to take at least one course per elective area with your total elective credits equaling a minimum of 19 credits.

No, you may take the core classes in any sequence. This includes the Perspectives in Global Health series (G H 401/402/403), which are non-sequential and may be taken in any order.

Courses not on the pre-approved elective list can be counted towards the minor by submitting an exception request via catalyst survey. In addition to completing the survey, you must submit a syllabus for each course exception requested to ghminor@uw.edu. Exception requests can only be submitted for elective courses, and will not be accepted for core coursework.

All requests will be reviewed by the adviser and/or faculty director and if approved, will be reflected in DARS. It may take 2-3 weeks for an exception to be approved.

Upper-division courses are those that are 300-/400-/500-level courses. This requirement can be completed by taking 15 credits of 300-/400-/500-level courses that will count towards the minor. Upper-division courses taken outside of the minor will not count towards this requirement.

You will need to complete additional coursework to meet the upper division requirement. In order for a course to count towards the minor, it must be applied to one of the core or elective areas. This includes courses taken to satisfy the upper division requirement. If required to submit an exception request for the upper division course, you should submit the request to the elective area in which it best fits. A minimum of 1 class must be taken per elective area, so it is okay to have more than one class per area to fulfill other requirements (upper division, residency, and overall credit). 

Study Abroad

The minor office does not hold specific information on study abroad programs. The best place to learn more about study abroad programs is through the UW Study Abroad Office.

Study abroad credits can be counted towards the minor by submitting an exception request via catalyst survey. We are able to accept up to 5 credits of your study abroad experience towards an elective area. You must specify in the survey which elective area you want your study abroad counted towards. Most students choose the Regional and Area Studies elective, but the elective you choose will depend on the program itself and the coursework completed as part of your experience.

All requests will be reviewed by the adviser and/or faculty director and if approved, will be reflected in DARS. It may take 2-3 weeks for an exception to be approved.

We are unable to process requests for students that still have the FSTDY 300 placeholder on their transcript. You are welcome to submit your exception request while that still shows on your transcript, and should contact the adviser once the credits have been converted to the course for which you are receiving credit. 

No, study abroad experiences typically consist of course work and are led by faculty.

We are only able to consider exception requests for study abroad experiences, if:

  1. there is a UW course number appearing on your transcript, and
  2. there is some type of faculty supervision involved.

If you receive credit for your international internship or volunteer experience, we can consider accepting credit towards the minor, but it will follow the same criteria as a study abroad exception request.