Master of Public Health

Generally the program does not have funding to offer admitted students, therefore, applicants are encouraged to research funding opportunities. Admitted applicants are given information on fellowships from the School of Public Health, START, etc., as well as how to apply for UW Research Assistantships and Teaching Assistantships. Students who enter the program are often successful at securing Assistantships and fellowships. ​​​

Tuition and Living Expenses 

  • Tuition rates can be found here.
  • Estimated student budgets can be found on the UW Financial Aid website.
  • Concurrent students pay the higher tuition of the two programs in which they are enrolled. 

Example Timelines 

*All course-based curriculum can be completed in three quarters. Students pursue a variety of paths in their second year.

Ways to Offset Program Costs

The Graduate Funding Information Service (GFIS) is the best resource for admitted and current UW graduate students seeking funding. They offer information sessions, have a funding blog, and can meet with students one-on-one to help identify and locate funding opportunities for graduate school-related expenses including tuition, research, conference and research travel. The UW Graduate School also has information on Assistantships and Fellowships. The DGH Student Opportunity Blog posts funding opportunities as well.   

Financial Aid

The UW Office of Student Financial Aid prepares financial aid packages for admitted students. To receive a financial aid package, applicants must complete the FAFSA and have results sent to the UW (school code 003798). Applicants are encouraged to apply for financial aid and funding when completing their application. Applicants can file beginning October 1; the UW's priority filing date is January 15. Award packages are generally sent out in March. 

​Study Abroad/FRILA

Students who travel abroad, including international students returning to their country, must register for Fieldwork, Research & Independent Learning Abroad (FRILA) for any quarter they are working on their practicum, independent study, thesis, or capstone. FRILA is not a traditional faculty-led program but a fee paid instead of tuition for students pursuing independent work. Students pay program fees ranging from $250-500 in lieu of tuition and can receive up to 18 credits.

Research/Teaching/Staff Assistantships 

Research Assistant (RA), Teaching Assistant (TA), and Staff Assistant (SA) positions, also known as Academic Student Employee (ASE) positions are jobs that generally provide full tuition waivers in addition to health insurance and monthly stipends. Positions require 20 hours of work per week and can be year-long or quarterly in duration.  Applicants and students are encouraged to apply for ASE positions across campus, especially in disciplines where they have prior education and/or training. For example, having an undergraduate degree in Psychology could help secure a TA position job in an undergraduate Psychology course. 

Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships

FLAS Fellowships support undergraduate, graduate and professional students in acquiring modern foreign languages and area or international studies competencies. Students from all UW departments and schools are encouraged to apply. These fellowships are ideal for students in their second year of study as many of the fellowships require intensive language courses which conflict with core first year MPH coursework. Fellows receive:

  • Academic Year Graduate: $18,000 USD for tuition + $15,000 USD for living stipend
  • Summer Graduate: $5,000 USD for tuition + $2,500 USD for living stipend

Endowed Fellowships for Global Health Excellence, Equity and Impact 

Each year the Department of Global Health is able to provide limited funding to incoming students from underrepresented populations in the field of public health. Students are selected by MPH program leadership.

International Student Tuition Waivers

International Student Tuition Waivers (ISTW) are sometimes available on a case-by-case basis to students from low and middle income countries. Admitted international students will receive information on how to apply for these waivers. Note: ISTW waivers are only available to students who have the ability to pay for housing, travel, etc. International students should check out the International Student Services website which has information for international students looking to study at the UW. 

Shih International Graduate Student Loan

International UW graduate students can apply for the Shih International Graduate Student Loan. Shih loans are intended to help international students finance their education and complete their degree objectives. 

Department of Global Health Travel Fellowships

Department of Global Health Travel Fellowships provide financial assistance to graduate students, professional students, and medical residents at the University of Washington. Grants are up to $4,000 and support room and board, travel health preparation, travel insurance and/or supplies. Applications open Feb. 1.