Our application for the Autumn 2023 cohort opens on September 1, 2022.
We will be hosting information sessions on the following dates using the web-based platform Zoom. In these sessions prospective students have the opportunity to speak with the faculty director and program advisor who will give a brief presentation and answer questions about the program.
You must pre-register in order to receive the session link. To register, please RSVP HERE
Session Dates – all times are Pacific/Standard Time (PST)
- Thursday, September 15, 2022, 3-4:15 PM
- Friday, October 14, 2022, 9-10:15 AM
All applicants must apply online through the UW Graduate School Admission website. At this site, you will need to set up an applicant profile and then submit an online application for "Global Health - Doctor of Global Health (Leadership and Practice)", submit all application materials electronically, and pay an application fee to the Graduate School for our program.
Please review the UW Graduate School’s webpage on Understanding the Application Process.
Criteria for Admissions
The DrGH program recruits students who wish to pursue long-term careers in global health, whether in academic institutions, Ministries of Health, NGOs, or the private sector. Candidates for admission to the DrGH program must meet the requirements of the UW Graduate School, as well as additional minimal requirements of the Department of Global Health. GRE scores are not required nor reviewed.
These minimum requirements include:
- Masters in public health or related field, or training in medicine, nursing, social work, or other health sciences degree
- At least 3 years of professional experience in non-clinical health program or policy work in global health, with preference given to those with professional experience based in a low or middle-income country setting
- Meets UW Graduate School English Language Proficiency Requirements.
Additional indicators of future success will be considered in the admissions process, including the nature and duration of previous work and service experience; the level of enthusiasm and detail in letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant’s work and academic potential; the applicant's written personal statement; and an ability to discuss research or practice work and future goals, among others.
Ideal candidates will have the following characteristics:
- Interested in evidence-based global health practice
- Interested in developing critical thinking skills and self-awareness as a leader
- Self-directed and self-motivated, with focused interests
- Flexible and engaged, ready to shape their own individual plan for learning, with mentorship from UW faculty
- Demonstrated high potential for leadership to achieve lasting improvement in the field of global health
After an initial review of the applications, the strongest candidates will be invited to interview with faculty from the program’s Admissions Committee, either in-person or via teleconference. The committee will recommend to the Graduate Program Director the names of applicants considered to be highly qualified for admission and a good fit for the program.
DrGH students begin the program in the Autumn Quarter only. For questions and inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.