Awards season is here!
2017 Abstract Submission: Department of Global Health (DGH) Global Healthies Poster Competition and Award Ceremony
Student, Medical Resident, and Fellow Poster Session and Awards Ceremony
Submission Deadline: Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 12:00 pm
Abstracts are requested from undergraduates, graduate students, professional students, medical residents and fellows (trainees) affiliated with the Department of Global Health to participate in this year's Department of Global Health Poster Session and Awards Ceremony, the “DGH Global Healthies.” This event is associated with the Department of Global Health Career Week, organized by the Global Health Resource Center, and will feature the work of our students, residents, and fellows, recognizing their outstanding achievements in research, education, and service in the field. Work described in the abstract must be directly affiliated with and have taken place while enrolled in a DGH academic program, DGH fellowship, or associated with a DGH center, program or initiative.
The Poster Session will be held on Monday May 15th, 2017, from 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. at the HUB Lyceum. Poster Session presenters are required to attend the session to present their work to attendees to be eligible for one of five awards. After the Poster Session, the DGH Global Healthies Award Ceremony will be held from 6:00p.m.–7:00p.m. in the same room.
Awards of $250 each will be given in the following five areas:
• Discovery and Development: High impact research across the spectrum from laboratory bench to bedside, to community and national-level programs
• Education and Training: Innovative efforts to build capacity to improve global health at the individual, community, organizational, community, or population-levels.
• Implementation and Application: Systematic approaches to increase the speed, efficiency, and impact of interventions and/or programs as they are put into practice or taken to scale.
• Public Health Service and Direct Care: Assessments of existing individual clinical services or population level prevention services and/or development strategies to improve these services.
• Oscar Gish Social Justice and Health Equity: Work that challenges inequality and improves health and justice for all.
Students or trainees may apply for only one of the first four categories of the DGH Global Healthies Awards (Discovery, Education, Implementation, or Public Health). The fifth category, the Oscar Gish Social Justice and Health Equity Award, will be a people’s choice award with attendees voting on the poster that most exemplifies the category. Awardees will be announced on May 15 at the event awardees will have an opportunity to make remarks as they accept the award.
• Students, medical residents, or fellows enrolled in the Department of Global Health academic programs or certificate programs.
• Students or medical residents who have received DGH fellowships. (GO Health, Thomas Francis, Afya Bora, etc)
• Students, medical residents or fellows who are affiliated with one of the DGH Centers, Programs, or Initiatives (IHME, Global WACh, START, CFAR, I-TECH, HAI, GHRC, etc)
We are looking for presentations that showcase a research, education, service project or other type of field experience in global health. Late submissions will not be accepted. If you have any questions regarding the abstract submission process, please contact Daren Wade at the Global Health Resource Center (GHRC) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Abstract Selection and Printing
The DGH will accept approximately 30-40 posters through a competitive process. If selected, posters will be printed at the Locke Center, Health Sciences Building at the expense of the Department of Global Health.