- Assistant Professor, Global Health
- Assistant Professor, Medicine - Allergy and Infectious Dis.
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Epidemiology
Select from the following:
Dr. LaCourse’s research focuses on improved tuberculosis prevention, screening, and detection with a focus on people with HIV, including pregnant people and children. She leads clinical cohorts of pregnant people and children evaluating diagnostics for latent and active TB infection as well as interventional studies evaluating TB prevention therapy including among HIV-exposed uninfected children and pregnant people with HIV. Active areas of research include evaluation of non-sputum based TB diagnostics as well as the role of pregnancy and HIV in TB susceptibility.
- Child and Adolescent Health (incl. Pediatrics)
- Disease Surveillance
- Infectious Diseases
- Infectious Diseases (other than STDs)
- Kenya Tuberculosis Research & Training Program-UW (KTRTP UW)
- M. tuberculosis exosome detection for pediatric TB diagnosis
- NanoDisk-MS measured Mtb antigen peptides for TB diagnosis and treatment monitoring in HIV-infected children
- Seattle TB Research Advancement Center
- The effect of HIV exposure and infection on immunity to TB in children
LaCourse SM, Cranmer LM, Matemo D, Kinuthia J, Richardson BA, John-Stewart GC, Horne DJ. Tuberculosis case finding in HIV-infected pregnant women in Kenya reveals poor performance of symptom screening and rapid diagnostic tests. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Feb 1;71(2):219-27. PMCID: 4712112.
LaCourse SM, Cranmer LM, Njuguna IN, Gatimu J, Maleche-Obimbo E, Walson JL, Wamalwa D, John-Stewart GC, Pavlinac PB. Urine TB LAM positivity predicts mortality in HIV-infected hospitalized children. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 May 17; 66(11): 1798–1801 PMCID: 5961239
Lokken EM, Walker CL, Delaney S, [et al, including LaCourse SM]. Clinical Characteristics of 46 Pregnant Women with a SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Washington State. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2020 Dec;223(6):911.e1-911.e14. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2020.05.031. Epub 2020 May 19. PMID: 32439389; PMCID: PMC7234933.
LaCourse SM, Richardson BA, Kinuthia J, Warr AJ, Maleche-Obimbo E, Matemo D, Cranmer LM, Mecha J, Escudero JN, Hawn TR, John-Stewart GC. A randomized controlled trial of isoniazid to prevent Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in Kenyan HIV-exposed uninfected infants. Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Jul 15;73(2):e337-e344. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciaa827. PMID: 32564076; PMCID: PMC8282257.
Huang Z, LaCourse SM, Kay AW, et al. CRISPR detection of circulating cell-free Mycobacterium tuberculosis DNA in adults and children, including children with HIV: a molecular diagnostics study. Lancet Microbe. 2022 Jul;3(7):e482-e492. doi: 10.1016/S2666-5247(22)00087-8. Epub 2022 May 31. PMID: 35659882; PMCID: PMC9300929.