- Affiliate Professor, Global Health
Select from the following:
Dr. Subhash Hira is a medical doctor who specialized in Infectious Diseases, Dermatology/STI, and Public Health. His academic qualifications are:MBBS;DV&D;Diplomate in Venereology(London);Board Certifications in Tropical Medicine & MPH (USA). He has held senior positions, namely Director National STI/HIV Program of MOH-Zambia; Assoc Professor USUHS-Bethesda; Professor University of Texas-Houston; Technical Advisor to NACO-MoH India & Director, ARCON-JJ Hospital Mumbai (1993-2003);Program Leader World Bank-WashingtonDC;Team Leader WHO-Indonesia; Pro-Vice Chancellor Gandhi UHS-Mumbai;Vice Chair TRP GFATM-Geneva (2014-18);STAC WHO-TDR-Geneva (-2020) and Regent, Zambian Medical University.
His pioneering research includes published evidence in 1982 that HIV was heterosexually transmitted among Zambians; GUD/STI co-factors in HIV transmission (1985),perinatal and breast milk transmission of HIV (1988),initiated ART in India in 1996, national scaling-up of ART in Indonesia (2008);expanding global ART delivery through GFATM (2014-2018). He led HSS under JICA for Assam, Mizoram and Tamil Nadu, and currently improving access to health in rural India using digital health technologies.
- MBBS (Medical College, Vadodara)
- MPH (Uniformed Service U of The Health Sc.)
- Adult Mortality
- Burden of Disease
- Business and Public Private Partnerships
- Cervical Cancer
- Child and Adolescent Health (incl. Pediatrics)
- Chronic Disease (incl. Cardiovascular, Diabetes)
- Clinical Mentoring
- Community Health Workers
- Community-Based Primary Health Care
- Disease Surveillance
- Distance Learning
- Education and Training
- Global Health Governance
- Health Information Systems
- Health Interventions
- Health Policy and Advocacy
- Health Promotion
- Health Systems Strengthening and Human Resources Development
- Health Technologies
- HIV Transmission
- Immigrants and Refugees
- Implementation Science
- Infectious Diseases (other than STDs)
- Intervention Design and Management
- Laboratory Strengthening
- Leadership and Organizational Development
- Male Circumcision
- Maternal Child Health (incl. Reproductive Health)
- Maternal Mortality
- Neglected Diseases, Tropical Medicine (incl. Parasites)
- Non-Communicable Diseases
- Operations Research
- Palliative Care
- Qualitative Research and Methods
- Social Determinants of Health
- STDs (other than HIV)
- Urban Health
- Waterborne Diseases
Subhash Hira, P Ngaithe, T Ram, S Sood, P Dhillon, A Munawwar. Design of Mizoram State Super-Speciality Cancer Hospital and Research Centre-Aizawl. JICA, Govt of Mizoram, and PHFI, New Delhi, June 2018.
Hira S, Pawar S. Roadmap to 2040: HIV/AIDS and STI in South-East Asia. In: State of Infectious Diseases in SEAR by 2040. New Delhi, WHO-SEARO, 2019 (in print).
Hira SK, Piot P. The counter effects of the Ebola epidemic on control and treatment of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria in west Africa. J AIDS 2016; 30:80-84.
Hira S, Munawwar A, Yassa P, Gaur R. New hope for conquering MDR-TB with rapid diagnostic test and short, affordable treatment regimens. In: online publication in PEAH-Italy, 2018. http://www.peah.it/2018/12/2018-a-year-in-review-through-peah-contributors-takes/.