- Professor, Global Health
- Professor, Health Services
- Adjunct Professor, Epidemiology
- Adjunct Professor, Evans School
- Adjunct Professor, Family Medicine
- Adjunct Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering
Health Alliance International
1107 NE 45th Street, Suite 350
Seattle, WA 98105
Select from the following:
Stephen Gloyd, MD, MPH, is a family practice physician who has been a University of Washington faculty member since 1986. He has worked for over 30 years in Africa, Latin America, and Asia as a clinician, manager, researcher, teacher, and policy advocate. His work has focused on improving primary health care, including maternal-child health services, tuberculosis control, and STD/AIDS. He has written and spoken extensively on the political economy of global health care and the connection between neoliberalism and health.
Dr. Gloyd is Director of the Global Health MPH Program in the UW's Department of Global Health where he directs efforts to expand curricular options to address global workforce needs. His work with Health Alliance International is designed improve approaches to global health assistance and to strengthen primary health care with the Ministries of Health of Mozambique, Cote d'Ivoire, Sudan, and Timor-Leste.
Dr. Gloyd has received many awards, including the WK Kellogg Fellowship, the APHA Mid-career Award, the Barsky Award for Political Activism, the UW Distinguished Teaching Award, and was the 38th Annual UW Faculty Lecturer. He received his BA and MPH from Harvard, his MD from the University of Chicago, and his family medicine residency at the University of Washington.
Expertise: Implementation science and health systems research, infectious disease epidemiology (STD, TB, EPI); political economy of health
- MD (University of Chicago)
- MPH (Harvard University)
- BA (Harvard University)
- Health Systems Strengthening and Human Resources Development
- Maternal Child Health (incl. Reproductive Health)
- Assessment of the National Level PMTCT Option B Rollout in Côte d'Ivoire: Phase II of an operations research and intervention project for PMTCT activities
- Improving Diagnostic, Linkage to Care, and Routine Reporting for TB, RR-TB and XDR-TB Patients in Mozambique
- Mozambique HIV Testing and Counseling (HTC) Linkages Assessment
- Operations Research Trainings
- Project LINKS: Implementation of Programs For The Prevention, Care, And Treatment of HIV/AIDS in The Republic of Côte d'Ivoire
- Strengthening Global Health Capacity at Chinese Universities
Gloyd S, Suarez J, Mercer M. Immunization campaigns and political agendas: Retrospective from Ecuador and El Salvador. International Journal of Health Services, 2003, Vol 33, Number 1
Gloyd S, Montoya P, Floriano F, Chadreque MA, Pfeiffer J, Gimbel-Sherr K. Scaling Up Antenatal Syphilis Screening in Mozambique: Transforming Policy to Action. Sex Transm Dis. 2007 Jul;34 (7 Suppl): S31-6.
Inguane CA§, Gloyd S§, Manuel JL, Brown C, Wong V, Viera L, Afonso P, Jamnadás M, Hassan WM, Augusto O, Bernard JJ, Cowan J, Kalibala S, Pfeiffer J. Assessment of linkages—from HIV testing to enrolment and retention in HIV care in central Mozambique. A Journal of the International AIDS Society, Vol 19 Supplement, July 2016, pp 45-52
Gloyd S, Wagenaar BW, Samuel Kalibala, Godfrey Woelk. Opportunities and Challenges of Secondary Data Analysis of HIV programs. Journal of the International AIDS Society, Vol 19 Supplement, July 2016 pp 60-66
Pfeiffer JT, Baltazar Chilundo, Gimbel S, Chapman RR, Gloyd S, Sherr K. Austerity and the "Sector-Wide Approach" to planning (SWAp) in Health: The Mozambique Experience. Social Science & Medicine. Accepted with revisions to Social Science and M//edicine, 3 May 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2017.05.008