- Associate Professor, Global Health
- Associate Professor, Epidemiology
Ninth and Jefferson Building
325 Ninth Avenue, Box 359927
Seattle, WA 98104
Select from the following:
Dr. Heffron is a member of the faculty of Global Health and jointly appointed in Epidemiology. She is the Associate Director for Mentoring within the International Clinical Research Center. Her research, teaching, and mentoring is dedicated to advancing the field of HIV prevention, often by leveraging intersections with reproductive health. Currently, she has is focused on daily oral PrEP and novel PrEP agents for HIV prevention utilizing research methods from clinical epidemiology, implementation science, causal inference, behavioral science, and qualitative research to study efficacy of novel products and optimizing delivery of daily oral PrEP to young women, people who use drugs, and HIV serodiscordant couples in sub-Saharan Africa. She collaborates extensively with colleagues in Kenya, Uganda, South Africa, and the US. She teaches "HIV/STI Research Methods," "Grand Challenges Impact Lab – Seattle," and the summer intensive "Principles of STI/HIV Research and Public Health Practice." She actively mentors PhD and MPH students from her departments. Her approach to her work is grounded in strategies that promote anti-racism and de-colonize global health research and practice.
- PhD (University of Washington)
- MPH (Tulane University)
- BA (Boston University)
- Child and Adolescent Health (incl. Pediatrics)
- Family Planning
- Health Disparities
- HIV Transmission
- Injury, Violence, Trauma and Domestic Violence
- Maternal Child Health (incl. Reproductive Health)
- Mental Health
- Mobile Health (mHealth)
- Best practices to integrate novel PrEP products into existing platforms for oral PrEP delivery
- Effects of Contraceptives on Genital Immunity and HIV Susceptibility
- Impact of Concurrent Initiation of DMPA Contraception and Tenofovir PrEP on Bone Loss in Young Women
- Implementation science research on PrEP delivery and costing within methadone treatment and syringe services for people who inject drugs in Uganda
- Impower-022 Phase III safety and efficacy trial of once monthly Islatravir for HIV prevention among cisgender women
- Integrated PrEP and ART Delivered in Ugandan Public Health Clinics to Improve HIV and ART Outcomes for HIV Serodiscordant Couples
- PrEP and safe abortion insights generation
Heffron R, Ngure K, Odoyo J, Bulya N, Tindimwebwa E, Hong T, Kidoguchi L, Donnell D, Mugo N, Bukusi E, Katabira E, Asiimwe S, Morton J, Morrison S, Haugen H, Mujugira A, Haberer J, Ware N, Wyatt M, Marzinke MA, Frenkel LM, Celum C, Baeten JM; Partners Demonstration Project Team. Pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV-negative persons with partners living with HIV: Uptake, use, and effectiveness in an open-label demonstration project in East Africa. Gates Open Res. 2017;1:3 [original work]. doi: 10.12688/gatesopenres.12752.1. PMCID: 5757790.
Heffron R, Donnell D, Rees H, Celum C, Mugo N, Were E, de Bruyn G, Nakku-Joloba E, Ngure K, Kiarie J, Coombs RW, Baeten J; Partners in Prevention HSV/HIV Transmission Study Team. Use of hormonal contraceptives and risk of HIV-1 transmission: a prospective cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2012;12:19-26.
Thomson KA, Hughes J, Baeten JM, John-Stewart G, Celum C, Cohen CR, Ngure K, Kiarie J, Mugo N, Heffron R. Increased risk of female HIV-1 acquisition throughout pregnancy and postpartum: A prospective per-coital act analysis among women with HIV-1 infected partners. J Infect Dis. Published online 05 Mar 2018 [original work]. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jiy113.
Heffron R, Ngure K, Velloza J, Kiptinness C, Quame-Amaglo J, Oluch L, Thuo N, Njoroge J, Momanyi R, Maina G, Mbugua S, Morrison S, Haugen H, Chohan B, Celum C, Baeten JM, Mugo N. Implementation of a comprehensive safer conception intervention for HIV-serodiscordant couples in Kenya: uptake, use, and effectiveness. JIAS. 2019;22:e25261 [original work]. doi: 10.1002/jia2.25261. PMCID: 6452026.
Heffron R, McClelland S, Balkus JE, Celum C, Cohen CR, Mugo N, Bukusi E, Donnell D, Lingappa J, Kiarie J, Fiedler T, Munch M, Fredricks D, Baeten JM; Partners PrEP Study Team. Efficacy of oral pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for HIV among women with abnormal vaginal microbiota: A post-hoc analysis of the randomised, placebo-controlled Partners PrEP Study. Lancet HIV. 2017;4:e449-56 [original work]. doi: 10.1016/S2352-3018(17)30110-8. PMCID: 5649365.