- Research Associate Professor, Global Health
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
Select from the following:
Dr. Nelly Mugo is actively engaged in clinical trial research, with a focus on HIV and cervical cancer prevention research. She has worked on HIV and cervical cancer prevention research for over 2 decades. She was an investigator for the Partners PrEP studies, that informed the change in indication for Truvada as HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis. At the Kenyatta National Hospital, she provided clinical services and trained specialists on clinical techniques for the management of cervical intraepithelial lesions for over 12 years. Dr. Mugo has conducted observational HPV studies among sex workers in Kenya, HPV vaccine trials among adolescents and is currently a Principal investigator in a study in Kenya evaluating ‘single dose HPV vaccine’ KENSHE. Dr. Mugo leads a clinical trial unit, PHRD, in Thika, Kenya. She is an Associate Research Professor, Department of Global Health, University of Washington and the Center for Clinical Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute.
- MBChB (University of Nairobi (Kenya))
- MMed (University of Nairobi (Kenya))
- MPH (University of Washington)
- Cervical Cancer
- HIV Transmission
- Implementation Science
- Infectious Diseases
- Maternal Child Health (incl. Reproductive Health)
- STDs (other than HIV)
1. Evidence for Contraceptive Options and HIV Outcomes (ECHO) Trial Consortium. HIV incidence among women using intramuscular depot medroxyprogesterone acetate, a copper intrauterine device, or a levonorgestrel implant for contraception: a randomised, multicentre, open-label trial. Lancet. 2019 Jul 27;394(10195):303-313.
2. Mugo NR, Eckert L, Magaret AS, Cheng A, Mwaniki L, Ngure K, Celum C, Baeten JM, Galloway DA, Wamalwa D, Wald A. Vaccine. Quadrivalent HPV vaccine in HIV-1-infected early adolescent girls and boys in Kenya: Month 7 and 12 post vaccine immunogenicity and correlation with immune status. 36(46):7025-7032, 2018 Nov 12
3. Mugo NR, Ngure K, Kiragu M, Irungu E, Kilonzo N. The preexposure prophylaxis revolution; from clinical trials to programmatic implementation. Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2016 Jan;11(1):80-6.
4. Mugo NR, Hong T, Celum C, Donnell D, Bukusi EA, John-Stewart G, Wangisi J, Were E, Heffron R, Matthews LT, Morrison S, Ngure K, Baeten JM; Partners PrEP Study Team. Pregnancy incidence and outcomes among women receiving preexposure prophylaxis for HIV prevention: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2014 Jul 23-30;312(4):362-71.
5. Mugo N, Dadabhai SS, Bunnell R, Williamson J, Bennett E, Baya I, Akinyi N, Mohamed I, Kaiser R. Prevalence of herpes simplex virus type 2 infection, human immunodeficiency virus/herpes simplex virus type 2 co infection, and associated risk factors in a national, population-based survey in Kenya. Sex Transm Dis. 2011 Nov;38(11):1059-66.