- Affiliate Assistant Professor, Global Health
- Senior Program Officer, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Select from the following:
Matthew Steele PhD MPH is a Senior Program Officer in the Global Delivery Program at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Dr. Steele currently leads a neglected tropical disease (African Sleeping Sickness) elimination program in 5 countries in Africa. He also is the co-lead for a program to assess and scale the impact of azithromycin mass drug administration to prevent infant and young child death in high mortality settings in sub-Saharan Africa. Finally, Dr. Steele leads an initiative to understand the key factors that enable or inhibit the movement of promising health interventions to launch and then widespread scale in key geographies in the developing world.
My professional interests include: Outbreak disease control (Ebola, Yellow Fever, Meningitis, and Japanese Encephalitis) via mass vaccine campaigns, Disease elimination/eradication programs in Africa, Non-vaccine child survival interventions delivered via population health campaigns
- PhD (University of Washington)
- MPH (University of Washington)
- BA (Brown University)
- Business and Public Private Partnerships
- Child Mortality
- Drug and Vaccine Development
- Health Economics
- Health Interventions
- Health Technologies
- Infectious Diseases
- Infectious Diseases (other than STDs)
- Intervention Design and Management
- Medical Anthropology
- Qualitative Research and Methods
- War, Conflict, and Peace Studies
- Zoonotic Diseases and Animal Health
Diagnostic tests; prototype device testing and evaluation; collaborating with UW and SBRI; microbicides
- AVENIR: Randomized Cluster Trial of biannual azithromycin to avert all cause child mortality in Niger
- Human African Trypanosomiasis (HAT) Elimination Initiative
- Launch Speedometer
- REACH (Reaching all children with Azithromycin to prevent infant and child mortality)
- Support for Yellow Fever vaccine campaign in DRC 2020-2021
Mwanyika H, Lubinski D, Anderson R, Chester K, Makame M, Steele M, de Savigny D. Rational Systems Design for Health Information Systems in Low Income Countries: An Enterprise Architecture Approach. Journal of Enterprise Architecture. 2011; Nov (volume 7: 4).
Boyle DS, Hawkins KR, Steele MS, Singhal M, Cheng X. Emerging technologies for point-of-care CD4 T-lymphocyte counting. Trends in Biotechnology. 2012 Jan;30(1):45-54.
Waitumbi JN, Gerlach J, Afonina I, Anyona SB, Koros JN, Siangla J, Ankoudinova I, Singhal M, Watts K, Polhemus ME, Vermeulen NM, Mahoney W, Steele, M, Domingo GJ. Malaria prevalence defined by microscopy, antigen detection, DNA amplification and total nucleic acid amplification in a malaria-endemic region during the peak malaria transmission season. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2011 July: 16(7): 786-793.