- Affiliate Assistant Professor, Global Health
- Senior Program Officer, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Select from the following:
Dr. Steele is a Senior Program Officer at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in the Global Delivery Programs.His work spans three focal areas. First, he leads efforts to prepare for and respond to outbreak diseases with vaccines, enhanced surveillance, mathematical modeling, and innovative human and logistical approaches to identification and control of these diseases.
Second, Dr. Steele leads RCTs to critically assess the potential impact of biannual (or other frequency) single dose antibiotic administration to reduce all cause child mortality in the Sahel. Current funded studies are ongoing in Niger and Burkina Faso with technical assistance to efforts in Nigeria, CIV, and Mali.
Finally, Dr. Steele is the Program Officer for a global program (led by PATH and MMV) to enhance identification, control, and cure of Plasmodium Vivax malaria infections using new drug, diagnostic, and modeling tools.
- PhD (University of Washington)
- MPH (University of Washington)
- BA (Brown University)
- Burden of Disease
- Business and Public Private Partnerships
- Child Mortality
- Delivery Logistics
- Disease Surveillance
- Drug and Vaccine Development
- Health Economics
- Health Interventions
- Health Technologies
- Infectious Diseases
- Infectious Diseases (other than STDs)
- Intervention Design and Management
- Maternal Child Health (incl. Reproductive Health)
- Medical Anthropology
- Qualitative Research and Methods
- War, Conflict, and Peace Studies
- Zoonotic Diseases and Animal Health
Diagnostic tests; prototype device testing and evaluation; collaborating with UW and SBRI; microbicides
- AVENIR: Randomized Cluster Trial of biannual azithromycin to avert all cause child mortality in Niger
- Human African Trypanosomiasis (HAT) Elimination Initiative
- Launch Speedometer
- REACH (Reaching all children with Azithromycin to prevent infant and child mortality)
- Support for Yellow Fever vaccine campaign in DRC 2020-2021
Mwanyika H, Lubinski D, Anderson R, Chester K, Makame M, Steele M, de Savigny D. Rational Systems Design for Health Information Systems in Low Income Countries: An Enterprise Architecture Approach. Journal of Enterprise Architecture. 2011; Nov (volume 7: 4).
Boyle DS, Hawkins KR, Steele MS, Singhal M, Cheng X. Emerging technologies for point-of-care CD4 T-lymphocyte counting. Trends in Biotechnology. 2012 Jan;30(1):45-54.
Waitumbi JN, Gerlach J, Afonina I, Anyona SB, Koros JN, Siangla J, Ankoudinova I, Singhal M, Watts K, Polhemus ME, Vermeulen NM, Mahoney W, Steele, M, Domingo GJ. Malaria prevalence defined by microscopy, antigen detection, DNA amplification and total nucleic acid amplification in a malaria-endemic region during the peak malaria transmission season. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2011 July: 16(7): 786-793.