- Senior Fellow, Global Health
908 Jefferson Street, 12th Floor
Seattle, WA 98102
Select from the following:
Dr. Velloza received her PhD in the Department of Epidemiology at the University of Washington in 2019. She also has a BA in Neuroscience & Behavior from Columbia University and an MPH in Health Behavior from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Her research, teaching, and mentoring focuses on advancing the field of global mental health and the intersection with HIV prevention specifically for adolescent girls and young women. Dr. Velloza is currently working with Dr. Connie Celum as the Project Director for a sequential multiple assignment randomized trial (SMART) study testing scalable approaches to PrEP adherence support for young women in South Africa. Prior to this, she worked on several NIH-funded studies, primarily in South Africa and Kenya, to: 1) understand the potential effect of psychosocial factors including depression, trauma, and substance use on HIV risk; 2) integrate mobile health (“mHealth”) solutions into mental health, reproductive health, and HIV care; and 3) implement combined mental health and HIV prevention interventions for women. Dr. Velloza utilizes a range of interdisciplinary methods including clinical epidemiology, behavioral science, causal inference, implementation science, and qualitative approaches to answer her research questions of interest.
- PhD (University of Washington)
- MPH (University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill)
- BA (Columbia University)
- Mental Health
- Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)
- Velloza J, Khoza N, Scorgie F, Chitukuta M, Mutero P, Mutiti K, Mangxilana N, Nobula L, Bulterys MA, Atujuna M, Hosek S, Heffron R, Bekker LG, Mgodi N, Chirenje M, Celum C, Delany-Moretlwe S, for the HPTN 082 study group. J Int AIDS Society. 2020;23(3):e25463.
- Velloza J, Heffron R, Amico KR, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Hughes JP, Li M, Dye BJ, Celum C, Bekker LG, Grant RM, for the HPTN 067/ADAPT study team. AIDS & Behavior. 2020 [e-pub]. doi: 10.1007/s10461-020-02783-8.
- Velloza J, Njoroge J, Ngure K, Thuo N, Kiptinness C, Momanyi R, Ayub S, Gakuo S, Mugo N, Simoni J, Heffron R. Cognitive testing of the PHQ-9 for depression screening among pregnant and postpartum women in Kenya. BMC Psychiatry. 2020;20(1):31. PMCID: PMC6990517.
- Velloza J, Kemp CG, Aunon FM, Ramaiya MK, Creegan E, Simoni JM. Alcohol use and antiretroviral therapy non-adherence among adults living with HIV/AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS & Behavior. 2019 [e-pub]. doi: 10.1007/s10461-019-02716-0.
- Velloza J, Ngure K, Kiptinness C, Quame-Amaglo J, Thuo N, Dew K, Kimani M, Gakuo S, Unger JA, Kolko B, Baeten JM, Celum C, Mugo N, Heffron R. A clinic-based tablet application to support safer conception among HIV serodiscordant couples in Kenya: feasibility and acceptability study. mHealth. 2019;5:4. PMCID: PMC6414336.