- Professor, Global Health
- Professor, Epidemiology
- Professor, Medicine - Allergy and Infectious Dis.
Ninth and Jefferson Building 12th Floor
908 Jefferson Street
Seattle, WA 98104
Select from the following:
Dr. Baeten is Vice Dean of the School of Public Health and Professor of Global Health, Medicine, and Epidemiology at the University of Washington. His research focuses on the prevention of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases, including clinical trials of novel prevention interventions, epidemiologic studies of risk factors for HIV transmission, work at the interface of HIV prevention and reproductive health, and behavioral, translational, and implementation science research aimed at optimizing prevention delivery. He led the Partners PrEP Study and MTN-020/ASPIRE, randomized clinical trials that demonstrated the efficacy of oral tenofovir-based pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) and the dapivirine vaginal ring for protection against HIV acquisition; he also was part of the leadership of the ECHO Study, which examined HIV risk related to hormonal contraceptive use in a randomized trial. He directs the University of Washington/Fred Hutch Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) and is Co-Principal Investigator of the NIH-funded Microbicides Trials Network.
- MD (University of Washington)
- PhD (University of Washington)
- BA (Washington University)
- Family Planning
- HIV Transmission
- Implementation Science
- Infectious Diseases
- Male Circumcision
- STDs (other than HIV)
- COVID-19 Treatment Study
- Delivering PrEP in Maternal Child Health (MCH) and Family Planning (FP) Systems
- Delivering PrEP in Pregnancy
- Delivery of integrated PrEP and ART for HIV prevention for couples in Kenya
- ECHO Trial
- HIV self-testing to improve efficiency of PrEP delivery
- Microbicide Trials Network
- Next generation real-time monitoring for PrEP adherence in young Kenyan women
- Pharmacy delivery to expand the reach of PrEP in Kenya
- POWER: Scaleable, Effective Delivery of Microbicides and PrEP for Young Women in Kenya and South Africa
- PrEP and dPEP: Doxycycline post-exposure prophylaxis for prevention of sexually transmitted infections among Kenyan women using HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis
Baeten JM, Donnell D, Ndase P, Mugo NR, Campbell JD, Wangisi J, Tappero JW, Bukusi EA, Cohen CR, Katabira E, Ronald A, Tumwesigye E, Were E, Fife KH, Kiarie J, Farquhar C, John-Stewart G, Kakia A, Odoyo J, Mucunguzi A, Nakku-Joloba E, Twesigye R, Ngure K, Apaka C, Tamooh H, Gabona F, Mujugira A, Panteleeff D, Thomas KK, Kidoguchi L, Krows M, Revall J, Morrison S, Haugen H, Emmanuel-Ogier M, Ondrejcek L, Coombs RW, Frenkel L, Hendrix C, Bumpus N, Bangsberg D, Haberer JE, Stevens WS, Lingappa JR, Celum C; Partners PrEP Study Team. Antiretroviral prophylaxis for HIV prevention in heterosexual men and women. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:399-410.
Baeten JM, Palanee-Phillips T, Brown ER, Schwartz K, Soto-Torres LE, Govender V, Mgodi NM, Kiweewa FM, Nair G, Mhlanga F, Siva S, Bekker L-G, Jeenarain N, Gaffoor Z, Martinson F, Makanani B, Pather A, Naidoo L, Husnik M, Richardson BA, Parikh UM, Mellors JW, Marzinke MA, Hendrix CW, van der Straten A, Ramjee G, Chirenje ZM, Nakabiito C, Taha TE, Jones J, Mayo A, Scheckter R, Berthiaume J, Livant E, Jacobson C, Ndase P, White R, Patterson K, Germuga D, Galaska B, Bunge K, Singh D, Szydlo DW, Montgomery ET, Mensch BS, Torjesen K, Grossman CI, Chakhtoura N, Nel A, Rosenberg Z, McGowan I, Hillier S; MTN-020/ASPIRE Study Team. Use of a vaginal ring containing dapivirine for HIV-1 prevention in women. N Engl J Med. 2016;375(22):2121-2132.
The Evidence for Contraceptive Options and HIV Outcomes (ECHO) Trial Consortium. HIV incidence among women using intramuscular depot medroxyprogesterone acetate, a copper intrauterine device, or a levonorgestrel implant for contraception: A randomised, open-label clinical trial. Lancet. 2019;394:303-13.