- Affiliate Instructor, Global Health
- Senior Research Associate, Infectious Diseases Institute, Makerere University
Infectious Diseases Institute Kasangati
Select from the following:
Andrew Mujugira, MBChB, MSc, MPH, PhD, MACE is head of the Infectious Diseases Institute Kasangati, Makerere University, Uganda. He has over ten years of experience with oral pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) efficacy trials, demonstration projects and implementation studies. His current research focuses on developing methods to build self-efficacy and empowerment, increase antiretroviral adherence and reduce sexual risk behaviors among key populations in Uganda through the use of combination HIV prevention tools (HIV self-testing, antiretroviral treatment and PrEP).
- MBChB (Makerere University)
- MS (University of London (UK))
- Transgender Health
- Transgender Men and HIV in Uganda : PrEP Uptake and Persistence
- Adherence to 3TC/TDF PrEP as a bridge to ART
- Characterizing PrEP Adherence Patterns in African Sex Workers
- HIV Self-testing to Empower Prevention Choices in Sex Workers
- HIV Self-Testing, STI Self-Sampling and PrEP for Transgender Women in Uganda
- Same-Day PrEP Initiation and Sexual Health for Transgender Women
Mujugira A, Baeten J, Kidoguchi L, Haberer J, Celum C, Donnell D, Ngure K, Bukusi E, Mugo N, Asiimwe S, Odody J, Tindiwembwa E, Bulya N, Katabira E, Heffron R. High levels of viral suppression among East African HIV-infected women and men in serodiscordant partnerships initiating antiretroviral therapy with high CD4 counts and during pregnancy. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2017 Sept 13.
Mujugira A, Celum C, Ngure K, Thomas KK, Katabira E, Baeten JM; Partners PrEP Study Team. Antiretroviral Therapy is Not Associated With Risky Sexual Behavior Among Heterosexual HIV-Infected Persons in Serodiscordant Partnerships. Sex Trans Dis. 2017 Jan;44(1):57-61.
Mujugira A, Celum C, Coombs RW, Campbell JD, Ndase P, Ronald A, Were E, Bukusi EA, Mugo N, Kiarie J, Baeten JM. HIV Transmission Risk Persists During the First 6 Months of Antiretroviral Therapy. J Acquir Defic Syndr. 2016 Apr 6.
Mujugira A, Coombs RW, Heffron R, Celum C, Ronald A, Mugo N, Baeten JM; Partners PrEP Study Team. Seminal HIV-1 RNA Detection in Heterosexual African Men Initiating Antiretroviral Therapy. J Infect Dis. 2016 Apr 6.
Mujugira A, Celum C, Tappero JW, Ronald A, Mugo N, Baeten JM. Younger Age Predicts Failure to Achieve Viral Suppression and Virologic Rebound Among HIV-1 Infected Persons in Serodiscordant Partnerships. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2016 Feb;32(2):148-54.