- Affiliate Associate Professor, Global Health
- Associate Professor, Universidade Eduadrdo Mondlane, Mozambique
Select from the following:
Dr. Mocumbi is an Associate Professor of Cardiology at Universidade Eduardo Mondlane and the Lead Researcher at the Non-Communicable Diseases (NCD) Division at the Instituto Nacional de Saúde, both in Mozambique. Her research interests are poverty-related NCD, particularly neglected cardiovascular diseases, focusing on epidemiological, clinical and health systems aspects in low-income settings. Her work has been on cardiomyopathies, rheumatic heart disease, heart failure in Africa and women’s cardiovascular health. Dr. Mocumbi has publications in high-impact indexed journals, has collaborations with eminent universities and research institutes all around the globe, and is part of editorial and advisory boards. She holds leadership roles at the Pan African Society of Cardiology, World Heart Federation, and Co-Chairs Non-Communicable Diseases and Injuries of Poverty Network..
- PhD, Imperial College London
- MD, Eduardo Mondlane University,
- Burden of Disease
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Chronic Disease (incl. Cardiovascular, Diabetes)
- Disease Surveillance
- Health Disparities
- Non-Communicable Diseases
- MRC Jointly Funded Initiatives Addressing Gaps in Men's Health Literacy and Health Seeking in Mozambique: A Case for Differentiated Care for HIV and Cardiovascular Disease
- PRIDE SSA - Partnerships in Research to Implement and Disseminate Sustainable and Scalable Evidence Based Practices in sub-Saharan Africa
- Scaling Out and Scaling Up the Systems Analysis and Improvement Approach to Optimize the Hypertension Diagnosis and Care Cascade for HIV-infected Individuals (SCALE SAIA HTN).
Bukhman G, Mocumbi AO, Atun R, Becker AE, Bhutta Z, Binagwaho A et al. Lancet NCDI Poverty Commission Study Group. The Lancet NCDI Poverty Commission: bridging a gap in universal health coverage for the poorest billion. Lancet. 2020;396(10256):991-1044. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31907-3. PMID: 32941823
Mocumbi AO, Ferreira MB, Sidi D, Yacoub MH. A population study of endomyocardial fibrosis in a rural area of Mozambique. N Engl J Med. 2008 Jul 3;359(1):43-9.PMID: 18596273
Mocumbi AO, Sidi D, Vouhe P, Yacoub M. An innovative technique for the relief of right ventricular trabecular cavity obliteration in endomyocardial fibrosis. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007 Oct;134(4):1070-2. PMID: 17903544
Mocumbi AO, Cebola B, Muloliwa A, Sebastião F, Sitefane SJ, Manafe N, Dobe I, Lumbandali N, Keates A, Stickland N, Chan YK, Stewart S. Differential patterns of disease and injury in Mozambique: New perspectives from a pragmatic, multicenter, surveillance study of 7809 emergency presentations. PLoS One. 2019;14(7):e0219273. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0219273.PMID: 31291292
Thienemann F, Dzudie A, Mocumbi AO, Blauwet L, Sani MU, Karaye KM, Ogah OS, Mbanze I, Mbakwem A, Udo P, Tibazarwa K, Damasceno A, Keates AK, Stewart S, Sliwa K. The causes, treatment, and outcome of pulmonary hypertension in Africa: Insights from the Pan African Pulmonary Hypertension Cohort (PAPUCO) Registry. Int J Cardiol. 2016;221:205-11.PMID: 27404676.
Mocumbi AO, Langa DC, Chicumbe S, Schumacher AE, Al-Delaimy WK. Incorporating selected non-communicable diseases into facility-based surveillance systems from a resource-limited setting in Africa. BMC Public Health. 2019 Feb 4;19(1):147. doi: 10.1186/s12889-019-6473-2. PubMed PMID: 30717732; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6360799.