- Assistant Professor, Global Health
- Assistant Professor, Psychosocial and Community Health
Harborview Medical Center
325 Ninth Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104
Select from the following:
I received my PhD in Nursing and MPH in Health Services from the University of Washington. My research explores social and programmatic barriers to uptake of services along the HIV care continuum including prevention of mother to child transmission (PMTCT), referral to and retention in HIV care programs, and access to sex education for pregnancy and STD prevention. I am jointly appointed in the Department of Global Health, working with I-TECH to evaluate STD/HIV treatment and prevention programs and policies in sub- Saharan Africa. I am also Assistant Director at the UW Global Center for Integrated Health of Women, Adolescents, and Children (Global WACH).
Research interests: Engagement and retention in HIV care; evaluation of STD/HIV programs and health systems; and HIV prevention and treatment in women, adolescents, and children.
- PhD (University of Washington)
- MPH (University of Washington)
- BSN (Johns Hopkins University)
- Child and Adolescent Health (incl. Pediatrics)
- Education and Training
- Health Systems Strengthening and Human Resources
- Implementation Science
- Male Circumcision
- Maternal Child Health (incl. Reproductive Health)
- Operations Research
- Quality Improvement
- STDs (other than HIV)
- Center for AIDS Research (UW and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center)
- Global Center for Integrated Health of Women, Adolescents and Children (Global WACh)
- International Training & Education Center for Health (I-TECH)
- Strategic Analysis, Research & Training (START) Center
- Treatment, Research, and Expert Education (TREE)
- International Training and Education Center for Health (I-TECH) Malawi
- International Training and Education Center for Health (I-TECH) South Africa
- Reaching Practicing MCH Professionals in Underserved Areas through Education and Training
- Simulated patient encounters to promote early detection and engagement in HIV care for adolescents
- Strengthening the Evidence Base and Capacity for Implementing HIV Prevention
Kohler PK, Tippett-Barr BA, Kang’ombe A, Hofstee C, Kilembe F, Galagan S, Chilongozi D, Namate D, Machaya M, Kabwere K, Mwale M, Msunguma W, Reed J, Chimbwandira F. Safety, Feasibility, and Acceptability of the PrePex Device for Adult Male Circumcision in Malawi. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Jun 1;72 Suppl 1:S49-55.
Kohler PK, Campos P, Garcia PJ, Carcamo C, Buendia C, Hughes J, Mejia C, Garnett G, Holmes KK. STI Screening Uptake and Knowledge of STI Symptoms among Female Sex Workers Participating in a Community Randomized Trial in Peru. Intl J STD AIDS. 2016 Apr;27(5):402-10.
Kohler PK, Ondenge K, Mills LA, Okanda J, Zierler B, Odhiambo F, Olilo G, Laserson KF, Voss J, John-Stewart G. Shame, Guilt and Stress: Community Perceptions of Barriers to Engaging in PMTCT Programs in Western Kenya. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2014 Dec;28(12):643-51.
Kohler PK, Okanda J, Kinuthia J, Mills LA, Olilo G, Odhiambo F, Laserson KF, Zierler B, Voss J, John-Stewart G. Community-based evaluation of PMTCT uptake in Nyanza Province, Kenya. PLoS One. 2014 Oct 31;9(10):e110110.
Kohler PK, Manhart LE, Lafferty WE. Abstinence-only and comprehensive sex education and the initiation of sexual activity and teen pregnancy. J Adolesc Health. 2008 Apr;42(4):344-51.