- Assistant Professor, Global Health
- Assistant Professor, Psychosocial and Community Health
Harborview Medical Center
325 Ninth Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104
Select from the following:
I received my PhD in Nursing and MPH in Health Services from the University of Washington. My research explores social and programmatic barriers to uptake of services along the HIV care continuum including prevention of mother to child transmission (PMTCT), referral to and retention in HIV care programs, and access to sex education for pregnancy and STD prevention. I am jointly appointed in the Department of Global Health, working with I-TECH to evaluate STD/HIV treatment and prevention programs and policies in sub- Saharan Africa. I am also Assistant Director at the UW Global Center for Integrated Health of Women, Adolescents, and Children (Global WACH).
Research interests: Engagement and retention in HIV care; evaluation of STD/HIV programs and health systems; and HIV prevention and treatment in women, adolescents, and children.
- PhD (University of Washington)
- MPH (University of Washington)
- BSN (Johns Hopkins University)
- Health Systems Strengthening and Human Resources
- Maternal Child Health (incl. Reproductive Health)
- Center for AIDS Research (UW and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center)
- Global Center for Integrated Health of Women, Adolescents and Children (Global WACh)
- International Training & Education Center for Health (I-TECH)
- Strategic Analysis, Research & Training (START) Center
- Treatment, Research, and Expert Education (TREE)
- Evaluation of STI Services in Public Health Facilities in South Africa
- Evaluation of the Acceptability and Safety of the PrePex Device for Adult Male Circumcision in Malawi: A Pilot Study.
- International AIDS Education and Training Center (IAETC) in Malawi
- International AIDS Education and Training Center (IAETC) in South Africa
- Reaching Practicing MCH Professionals in Underserved Areas through Education and Training
- Simulated patient encounters to promote early detection and engagement in HIV care for adolescents
- Strengthening the Evidence Base and Capacity for Implementing HIV Prevention
- Workforce Development in Applied Epidemiology and Laboratory Management in South Africa
Kohler PK, Manhart LE, Lafferty WE. Abstinence-only and comprehensive sex education and the initiation of sexual activity and teen pregnancy. J Adolesc Health. 2008 Apr;42(4):344-51.
Otieno PA, Kohler PK, Bosire RK, Brown ER, Macharia SW, John-Stewart, GC. Determinants of failure to access care in mothers referred to HIV treatment programs in Nairobi, Kenya. AIDS Care. 2010 Jun;22(6):729-36.
Kohler PK, Chung MH, McGrath CJ, Benki-Nugent SF, Thiga JW, John-Stewart GC. Implementation of free cotrimoxazole prophylaxis improves clinic retention among antiretroviral therapy-ineligible clients in Kenya. AIDS. 2011 Aug 24;25(13):1657-61.
Marson KG, Tapia K, Kohler P, McGrath CJ, John-Stewart GC, Richardson BA, Njoroge JW, Kiarie JN, Sakr SR, Chung MH. Male, Mobile, and Moneyed: Loss to Follow-up vs. Transfer of Care in an Urban African Antiretroviral Treatment Clinic. PLoS One. 2013 Oct 24; 8(10).
Akullian A, Kohler PK, Kinuthia J, Laserson KF, Mills LA, Okanda J, Olilo G, Ombok M, Odhiambo F, Rao D, Wakefield J, John-Stewart G. Geographic Distribution of HIV Stigma among Women of Childbearing Age in Rural Kenya. AIDS. 2014 May 16.