- Professor, Global Health
- Professor, Allergy and Infectious Dis.
- Adjunct Professor, Epidemiology
- Adjunct Professor, Microbiology
- Director, Research and Faculty Development, Department of Global Health
- PI, Center for AIDS Research, University of Washington - Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- PI, International Training and Education Center for Health (I-TECH), University of Washington - Unversity of California San Francisco
- Director, Center for AIDS and STD, University of Washington
- Infectious Disease Section Head, Harborview Medical Center
- Member, National Institutes of Health (NIH) Fogarty International Center Council
- Member, National Institutes of Health (NIH) Council or Councils
Ninth and Jefferson Building, 13th Floor
908 Jefferson Street
Seattle, WA 98104
Select from the following:
Dr. Holmes, Director of Research and Faculty Development in the Department of Global Health, is the Director of the University of Washington Center for AIDS and STDs (a WHO Collaborating Center), and Principle Investigator for the NIH-funded UW/Fred Hutch Center for AIDS Research, which has over 550 members, including faculty, research scientists, and pre- and post-doctoral fellows. He is also PI for the UW International Training and Education Center on Health (I-TECH), with HIV-related programs in 20 countries throughout the world.
Dr. Holmes has participated in research on STIs for over 50 years and in research, training, and technical assistance on HIV/AIDS and other STIs in Africa, Latin America, SE Asia, and the Western Pacific for over 30 years. He has participated in the design and conduct of 40 randomized controlled trials of STI treatment and prevention. His research has addressed the clinical epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of bacterial, viral, and other STIs and STI-related clinical syndromes. He has trained and/or mentored over 150 scientists involved in HIV/STI research and care in the U.S. and other countries throughout the world. In 2013, Dr. Holmes was a winner of the Canada Gairdner Global Health Award for his global scientific contributions to the field of sexually transmitted diseases and their effective treatment and prevention, and was also awarded the IDSA Alexander Fleming Lifetime Achievement Award.
- PhD (University of Hawaii)
- MD (Cornell University)
- AB (Harvard University)
- Education and Training
- Infectious Diseases (other than STDs)
- STDs (other than HIV)
- Center for AIDS Research (UW and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center)
- Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH)
- International Training & Education Center for Health (I-TECH)
- Kenya Research & Training Center
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- PhD in Global Health: Metrics & Implementation Science
- UW Center for AIDS and STD
- Washington Global Health Alliance (WGHA)
Global health; internal medicine; infectious diseases with research on HIV/AIDS and STDs; clinical epidemiology; microbiology; clinical trials; HIV/STD prevention research
Masur H, Brooks JT, Benson CA, Holmes KK, Pau AK, Kaplan JE. Prevention and treatment of opportunistic infections in HIV-infected adults and adolescents: Updated guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institutes of Health, and HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2014 May;58(9):1308-11.
Drain PK, Robine M, Holmes KK, Bassett IV. Trail watch: Global migration of clinical trials. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2014 Feb 28;13(3):166-7. doi: 10.1038/nrd4260.
Kurth AE, Spielberg F, Cleland CM, Lambdin B, Bangsberg DR, Frick PA, Severynen AO, Clausen M, Norman RG, Lockhart D, Simoni JM, Holmes KK. Computerized counseling reduces HIV-1 viral load and sexual transmission risk: Findings from a randomized controlled trial. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014 Apr 15;65(5):611-20.
Cárcamo CP, Campos PE, García PJ, Hughes JP, Garnett GP, Holmes KK, for the Peru PREVEN study team. Prevalences of sexually transmitted infections in young adults and female sex workers in Peru: a national population-based survey. Lancet Infect Dis 2012 Oct;12:765-73.
García PJ, Holmes KK, Cárcamo CP, Garnett GP, Hughes JP, Campos PE, Whittington WL; Peru PREVEN Study Team. Prevention of sexually transmitted infections in urban communities (Peru PREVEN): a multicomponent community-randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2012 Mar;379:1120-8.