- Associate Professor, Global Health
- Associate Professor, Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
Ninth and Jefferson Building, 13th Floor
908 Jefferson Street
Seattle, WA 98104
Select from the following:
Deepa Rao, PhD, is a Clinical Psychologist and Associate Professor at the University of Washington. Her professional interests are in designing effective interventions to improve mental health and reduce stigma for vulnerable populations worldwide.
- PhD (Illinois Institute of Technology)
- MA (University of Chicago)
- BA (University of Chicago)
- Mental Health
- Social Justice and Human Rights
Global Mental Health, Stigma Reduction, Chronic Disease, HIV/AIDS, and Social Justice and Human Rights
- GH14-1403, S. Africa: Strengthening the Evidence Base and Capacity for Implementing HIV Prevention
- Integrated Care for Co-morbid Depression and Diabetes in India
- Mental Health Research Training for Improved Health Outcomes in Kenya
- Prevalence, Risk and Protective Factors, Care Seeking, and the Sociocultural Context for Common Mental Disorders in Sofala Province, Mozambique
- Reducing HIV Stigma to Improve Health Outcomes for African American Women
- Runachay: Information and Communication Technologies for Global Health Research
Rao, D., Desmond, M., Andrasik, M., Rasberry, T., Lambert, N., Cohn, S., Simoni, J. (2012). Feasibility, Acceptability, and Preliminary Efficacy of the 'Unity Workshop': An Internalized Stigma Reduction Intervention for African-American Women Living with HIV. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 26(10):614-620.
Rao, D., Horton, R., Raguram, R. (2012). Gender Inequality and Structural Violence among Depressed Women in South India. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 47(12):1967-75.
Molina, Y., Choi, S., Cella, D., Rao, D.* (In Press). The Stigma Scale for Chronic Illnesses 8-item version (SSCI-8): Development, validation, and use across neurological conditions. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. NIHMSID #363920.
Corrigan, P.W., Rao, D. (2012). On the Self-Stigma of Mental Illness: Stages, Disclosure, and Strategies for Change. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 57(8):464-9, NIHMSID363969.
Rao, D., Feldman, B.J., Fredericksen, R.J., Crane, P.K., Simoni, J.M., Kitahata, M.M., Crane, H.M. (2011). A Structural Equation Model of HIV-Related Stigma, Depressive Symptoms, on Medication Adherence. AIDS and Behavior, epub ahead of print. NIHMSID #278611.