Why choose the Department of Global Health for your degree?
UW is the world's No. 1 most innovative public university, and No. 5 most innovative among public and private universities in the world (Reuters); UW is No. 10 on global ranking, No. 2 among US public institutions (U.S. News & World Report);
Student research is guided by our globally recognized faculty who are conducting 732 funded research projects and programs in 144 countries.
Our graduates have boundless opportunities with 94% job placement or in postgraduate programs within a year of graduation.
Through our Endowed Fellowship for Global Health Excellence, Equity and Impact fund, we offer funding for top recruits and underrepresented minorities for our graduate programs.*
Department of Global Health graduate admissions
We review applications for our PhD and MPH programs once a year for entry the following fall.
• September 1: Online application opens
• December 2: Application and all supporting materials due
• December - February: Committee reviews applications
• February - March: Admission decisions are sent
• April 15: Deadline to accept offers of admission
Graduate degree programs
PhD in Global Health: Metrics & Implementation Science: DGH, in collaboration with IHME and HAI, have developed a PhD program in Global Health that is the first of its kind, building on the expertise of our faculty in the areas of metrics and implementation science. More info and to TALK TO AN ADVISER
PhD in Pathobiology: The program applies a multidisciplinary approach as well as the latest research technologies to the study of public health problems such as viral, bacterial and parasitic diseases, as well as other conditions such as cancer. More info and to TALK TO AN ADVISER
Master of Public Health degree
Master of Public Health - GENERAL TRACK or HEALTH METRICS AND EVALUATION (HME) TRACK: The program offers a social justice and practical skills-based framework so graduates can make a difference wherever they work. More info and to TALK TO AN ADVISER
Public Health - Global Health Major and Global Health Minor: Undergraduates at UW Seattle have options for both a Major and a Minor. The Public Health - Global Health Major is administered in the School of Public Health Dean's Office, and the Global Health Minor is administered in the Department of Global Health. More info and to TALK TO AN ADVISER for the GH Minor or PH-GH Major
* This includes Excellence Research Assistant positions (tuition waiver and living stipend) and Excellence Fellowships ($5K award). All graduate applicants can apply for consideration for these funds. The number of awards each year are dependent on funding available, and awardees are designated through DGH academic program committees.