Photo of UW's Rainier Vista
University of Washington, Rainier Vista. Photo credit Dennis Wise
View image caption

“Admission to the Graduate School allows students to continue graduate study and research at the University of Washington only as long as they maintain satisfactory performance and progress toward completion of their graduate degree program.”  

In the Department of Global Health MPH Program, maintaining satisfactory performance and progress means students must abide by the:

as well as:

  • complete program requirements in a professional, respectful, and ethical manner.
  • maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher.
  • complete incompletes in required courses the quarter following the incomplete was given.
  • complete all aspects of their practicum within the written timeline agreed upon between student, practicum faculty advisor, and site supervisor.
  • complete all aspects of their thesis within the written timeline agreed upon between student, thesis chair, and committee.

Review of Student Performance and Progress

Student grades are evaluated by the program at the end of each quarter. Progress on thesis, practicum, and other projects is evaluated through meetings between faculty and staff. In situations where a student is not making satisfactory progress, per definition above, the below recommendations will be made (beginning with Warn or Probation) to the Graduate School and be effective the quarter the recommendation is made. In all cases, a letter from the program director or associate director will outline the circumstances leading to the recommendation and actions necessary to correct the deficiency. A copy of the letter will also be placed in the student’s file. Typically only one notice will be given for each category.   

  • Warn. This recommendation is not reported to the Graduate School and does not appear on the student's transcript. Students may be requested to meet with program leadership. It is not necessary for a warning to precede a probation recommendation.
  • Probation. The program sends probation recommendations to the Graduate School. If approved, the status will appear on the student's unofficial transcript. Students will be requested to meet with program leadership.
  • Final Probation. The program sends final probation recommendations to the Graduate School. If approved, the status will appear on the student's unofficial transcript. Students will be requested to meet with program leadership.
  • Drop. The program sends these recommendations to the Graduate School and the status will appear on the student's transcript. This is the final action for students who have not corrected the condition(s) that caused the final probation recommendation within the time limit specified by the graduate program.

Appeals to the above recommendations should be submitted in writing to the MPH Program Director within a month of notification. Appeals will be responded to within a month of receipt. 

Graduate students are required to maintain graduate status during their program of study. To maintain graduate status, a student must be enrolled on a full-time, part-time, or official On-Leave basis from the time of first enrollment until completion of all requirements. Summer quarter On-Leave enrollment is automatic for all graduate students who were either registered or officially On-Leave during the prior Spring Quarter. Failure to maintain either continuous enrollment or On-Leave status constitutes evidence that the student has resigned from their degree program. 

To be eligible to request Graduate On-Leave status, a student must be in good academic standing and have registered for at least one quarter as a graduate student at the University of Washington immediately prior to going on-leave (international students must complete three consecutive quarters - please consult the International Student Services Office for eligibility). Students must request this leave on a quarterly basis and pay a non-refundable, quarterly fee. 

On-Leave status entitles students to use the University libraries and maintain access to their email accounts. They are not entitled to extensive faculty and staff counsel, examinations of any type (except for language competency), thesis/dissertation filing, appointments as Academic Student Employees, University housing, student insurance, or any form of financial assistance. Students may use the Hall Health Primary Care Center on a pay-for-service basis and can pay to use the IMA. For complete details regarding the on-leave, continuous enrollment and reinstatement policies, refer to Graduate School Memorandum 9 and Graduate School information on Graduate On-Leave Status

If you travel abroad as a student you must follow the Student International Travel Policy. This policy outlines three important pre-departure requirements for all students traveling abroad for official academic purposes:

  1. Register international travel with the Office of Global Affairs (OGA)
  2. Purchase comprehensive medical and evacuation insurance while abroad
  3. Request a waiver for travel to high risk destinations

Administered by OGA, the policy establishes health and safety requirements to minimize undue risks to UW students. The spirit of this policy is threefold:

  1. Help ensure that UW students have a safe and successful academic experience abroad
  2. Raise awareness so that all UW students know about international health and safety resources and services when traveling abroad
  3. Institutionalize long-standing best practices that help ensure the University’s ability to consistently provide efficient and effective, 24/7 support to all students studying abroad.

Please visit the OGA website for more information and FAQs.

All MPH students are required to maintain compliance with the Health Sciences Immunization Program. Students enrolled during Autumn quarter (even if final quarter) are required to participate.  An annual HSIP fee of $111 will be applied to a student's tuition account beginning fall quarter. Student's must obtain a TB screening and flu shot to maintain compliance. TB screening needs to be completed before current TB Screening status expires. The annual influenza vaccine should be completed between August 15 and October 15.  Please note that the flu vaccine is required to be consistent with CDC guidelines. 

Students can complete these requirements at locations most convenient for them such as a care provider, the Hall Health Immunization Clinic or other clinics or pharmacies listed on HSIP’s Resources page.    HSIP recommends contacting the preferred provider to confirm acceptance of health insurance or the out of pocket costs.

Once completed, send documentation to Please include in the email text: name, UW student ID#, department and program. In the email subject line, please write “Annual TB test results” or “Annual Flu Vaccine”. Failure to meet the requirements of HSIP will result in a block on future registration. Please contact the HSIP program at with questions specific to HSIP status or records.

Health insurance is required for all UW students. Domestic students are expected to carry their own health insurance. International students in F-1 or J-1 status are required to purchase the UW International Student Health Insurance Plan (iSHIP) during the registration process. International students must also make every effort to be insured during their entire stay in the U.S.; see also ISS Health Insurance webpage.

Review quarterly deadlines as well as timelines and guidelines for thesis submission.

Register for a minimum of 1 credit. You must be registered the quarter you graduate. You can register for any course; it does not need to be a G H course. Faculty/staff tuition-exempt students may register for credit (other than 600 and 700 level courses) to utilize the exemption. Understand the rules around the Graduate Registration Waiver Fee in case that is something you are you considering.

Review your transcript to make sure all  there are no incomplete or missing grades and run an audit of your transcript in MGP to confirm minimum Graduate School requirements have been met. This includes confirming all practicum requirements have been met and (if applicable) all Independent Learning paperwork with the Study Abroad office has completed, including converting FSTDY credit. Students pursuing concurrent degrees should confirm that all concurrent degree requirements have been satisfied with the Graduate School as well; see Concurrent Degree Policy

File a Master’s Degree Request. The request period opens the first day of each quarter and closes one week before the last day of the quarter.  

Submit your thesis before the last day of the quarter (the Friday of finals week) via UW Electronic Thesis/Dissertation (ETD) web page and turn in your Master’s Supervisory Committee Approval Form to the Graduate School by scanning your completed form uploading it to the Administrative Documents section of the UW ETD Administrator Site. Failure to submit this form may require registration in a future quarter or paying the $250 Graduate Registration Waiver Fee.

Return building access cards and UW photo IDs to program staff and update your permanent address where your well-earned diploma will be sent. Diplomas are sent out 3-4 months after the quarter of graduation. International students - the form to change your permanent (foreign) address is provided through the International Services Office.

A matriculated student previously registered in a degree program who has failed to maintain graduate student status but who wishes to resume studies in their previous program should follow the below steps:

  • Submit to program manager a "proposal to complete degree" addressing incomplete coursework, practicum and/or thesis work. This proposal will be reviewed by program leadership. 
  • If approved by program leadership, submit a reinstatement request to the Graduate School for the quarter the student requests to re-enter the program. The Graduate School will confirm a students’ eligibility for reinstatement.
  • If eligible, the student will be notified to pay a non-refundable $250 Reinstatement Fee to process reinstatement and return to active student status the quarter the request was made for.

For complete details regarding the on-leave, continuous enrollment and reinstatement policies, refer to Graduate School Memorandum 9.