MPH students in the library

Select from the following:

Accepting Admission

Admitted students have until April 15 to accept an offer of admission. To accept an offer, return to the Online Application for Admission. A Private Access Code (PAC) is needed to set up a UW NetID, which is needed to accept admission. Contact the Registration Office at or 206-543-8580 for PAC inquiries. Applicants who did not set up a UW NetID  (University of Washington Network Identification) when applying must set one up now as a "student". 

**Please note, the NetID you choose will also be the beginning of your UW email address. For example, if student7 is selected as a NetID the corresponding email address will be** 

Enrollment Confirmation Deposit

A $250 enrollment confirmation deposit (ECD) must be paid when you accept you offer of admission. The $250 is credited to your first quarter tuition bill. The deposit can be paid using a credit card or webcheck from a bank. Webcheck payments must be made in United States Dollars (USD). If assistance is required when paying the ECD, please email Once the $250 has been paid confirmation of enrollment is complete; there is no physical packet that is mailed out.

See also PDF iconECD process slides.pdf

Transcripts and Visa Processing

Instructions for submitting official transcripts and visa documentation for international students can be accessed in the admissions portal.  

Address Changes

Any time a student moves after being admitted, they are encouraged to make changes in the Online Application for Admission. Look for the “update profile” link in the top right corner of the application screen.

Next Steps


Incoming students are encouraged to subscribe to the Department's newsletter and the MPH Program blog.  

Timeline & Tuition

Please review the our timeline & tuition page to see how students move through our program and ways to maximize time in the program while minimizing tuition costs.  

Preparatory reading suggestions

If you're looking for books to read prior to starting classes below are some recommendations from Global Health faculty. 

  • Epidemiology and Biostatistics: An Introduction to Clinical Research by Bryan Kestenbaum

  • The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White

Recent Health Sciences Common Books

  • Changing Planet, Changing Health by Paul R. Epstein and Dan Ferber (2017-2018)
  • Catching Homelessness: A Nurse's Story of Falling Through the Safety Net by Josephine Ensign (2016-2017)
  • The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Era of Color Blindness by Michelle Alexander (2015-2016)
  • Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies by Seth Holmes (2014-2015)


Faculty Advising

Students will be matched with a faculty adviser approximately a month before classes begin. Faculty advisers provide information and advice on global health careers and professional opportunities, and assist with connections to other faculty and community members around practicum and thesis. Students work closely with their faculty adviser until the student identifies their thesis chair. Students are encouraged to use the application-pdf.pngStudent guide for meeting with faculty.pdf document for meetings with faculty. 

Staff Advising

Andreas Keodara, program advisor, and Julie Brunett, program manager, advise students in the General, LPM, and MD/MPH tracks. Students in these tracks should send advising questions to Sarah Dillard advises students in the HME track. Staff advisers make sure students satisfy degree requirements and can answer questions about policies and procedures in the Department, School of Public Health, and the University. They will also share resources on campus for various needs like writing assistance, tutoring, counseling, etc.  Advising appointments should be made in advance, however, quick questions can often be answered without an appointment.  


Orientation events for 2019 will likely take place September 18-20 and 23-24. Classes begin on September 25, 2019. Once specific events have been planned this page will be updated.  Students not already residing in Seattle are strongly encouraged to arrive at least two weeks prior to classes beginning in order to find housing and get settled. 

Resource for international students

Graduate Preparation Program, a pre-graduate studies program offered by UW International & English Language Programs.  This 4-week program is designed to prepare incoming international students for graduate studies at UW and institutions throughout the US. 

Immunization Requirements

The School of Public Health requires MPH students to show documentation of protection against a number of vaccine-preventable diseases as well as screening for tuberculosis. The Health Sciences Immunization Program (HSIP) manages and tracks student immunization status. International students are encouraged to complete as many immunizations (with documentation - see below) as possible in their home country as this will likely be less expensive. 


Entering students must complete the HSIP Immunization Form and send to with back-up documentation before beginning classes. Exact due dates will be sent from the Practicum Office in the School of Public Health.  See the HSIP website for complete details.). Please note, students participating in the HSIP program are exempted from the UW’s measles immunity program. Instead, documentation should ONLY be sent to HSIP. The HSIP office will communicate with UW Hall Health to let them know the Measles requirement is complete.   

Registration Blocks and Fees  

Participation in HSIP is mandatory and an annual HSIP fee of $111 will be applied to your tuition account beginning fall quarter.  Failure to meet the requirements of HSIP will result in a block on future course registration. Questions specific to HSIP or immunization records should go to  

Practicum Prerequisites

Incoming students are expected to familiarize themselves with Practicum requirements and complete the below trainings and forms prior to matriculation. 


In compliance with affiliation agreements, students who have not had a Washington State Patrol  “Child and Adult Abuse Law” (CAAL)  or FBI background check dated less than two years prior to the start of their program must complete a background check using this Background Check Form.

Blood-borne Pathogens Training

All students who have not completed a Bloodborne Pathogens training in the past year must complete. Register online or call (206) 543-7201 to register by phone. Please select the "Blood-Borne Pathogens for Researchers" training. In order to complete the training you will need to provide the following information:

  • Box number: 357965
  • Work Phone: 206-685-1292
  • Supervisor Name: Andreas Keodara
  • Supervisor e-mail:
  • You DO NOT need to enter an employee number

HIPPA Training

All students who need HIPAA training can take the on-line course, a 90-minute training module, through the University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC). If you have already taken the HIPPA training through the UW you do not need to take it again. Please read and follow the instructions below CAREFULLY before proceeding. You can access the training through the Compliance Learning Portal (CLP). 

  • How to register:
    Visit and fill out the registration form. You will receive a password from WordPress to access the site.
    • Enter First Name, Last Name
    • Select SOM Medical Student
    • Select Student
    • Supervisor Coordinator Name: Andreas Keodara (do not include email)
    • Create a User Name
    • Follow Instructions below
    • Upon completion of the training, return to this site to upload certificate
  • How to log in:
    Visit enter your username and password.
  • How to take training:
    Once you log in, you will be led to “My Profile.” Select "Protecting Patient Information (HIPAA)" module in the “Training Catalog” on the right. Click on “Take this Training” or the course name under “Modules” to begin the course.
  • How to obtain a completion certificate:
    Navigate to “My Profile.” Click on the icon that looks like an award ribbon and save or print the pdf certificate.



Registration for new students opens in June and continues through the first week of Autumn quarter. Registration for winter and spring quarters occurs midway through the preceding quarter. With a NetID, students can log into MyUW and begin the registration process.

Resources regarding registration:

The Academic Calendar lists registration deadlines, dates of instruction, holidays and more. The UW academic year runs from late September to mid June and includes three quarters: autumn, winter and spring. Quarters are 10 weeks or approximately three months.

Course descriptions are found in the Time Schedule; Global Health courses have the prefix "G H" and are listed under "Interschool & Intercollege Program". Click on the course title to see the description.

The Course Evaluation Catalog lists course reviews by students.

For books, many students use CheggAmazon; new and used books can also be purchased from the UW Bookstore.

Eligible UW and Washington State employees utilizing the Tuition Exemption Program are not able to register until the third or fourth day of each quarter and must have submitted a tuition exemption request form at least two weeks prior to the start of each quarter.

Required Coursework 

General credit requirements and information 

  • The MPH degree requires a minimum of 63 credits
  • Most students take between 12-18 credits per quarter
  • Students must register for 3-6 practicum credits and a minimum of 9 thesis credits for the MPH degree
  • International students must take a minimum of 10 credits per quarter per visa requirements
  • Tuition rates vary between 1-7 credits; the tuition rate is the same when registering for between 7-18 credits (a surcharge is incurred when registering for over 18 credits)
  • Required courses, as well as most elective courses, are offered only once per per year, generally in the same quarter each year

**Health Metrics students should speak to their staff adviser regarding required coursework**

Epidemiology and Biostatistics - which course(s) are best for me?

Most students will have to decide which Epidemiology and Biostatistics course(s) to take. Funded students may have specific courses they need to take. The options can be confusing but hopefully our breakdown will be helpful. 

The two biggest factors students have to consider when making this choice is (1) how much time they have to complete their degree and (2) their professional goals. If students choose to take classes beyond the single required courses, they will have less time to take other courses.  That being said if robust epidemiology skills are what is wanted then more epidemiology classes might be just want is needed and missing out on elective courses won't be a concern. If students are planning to be on campus in year two they will have more time to take additional electives as well. 


There is a single, stand-alone, course option, EPI 511, Introduction to Epidemiology (autumn), and a two-course sequence, EPI 512-513, Epidemiologic Methods I & II (autumn & winter), that satisfy minimum degree requirements. Generally speaking, students who feel they want a general sense of Epidemiology take EPI 511; students who want to delve more deeply into epidemiology often take the series. The Department of Epidemiology has created a guide to help students make the choice between EPI 511 and EPI 512-513. Students who choose the series can also continue with EPI 514, Application of Epidemiologic Methods (spring).


There are three courses that satisfy the minimum degree requirement: BIOST 508, Biostatistical Reasoning for the Health Sciences (winter), BIOST 511, Medical Biometry I (autumn), and BIOST 517, Applied Biostatistics I (autumn). BIOST 508 is recommended. However, BIOST 511 allows students to continue with the 511-513 series if they so choose. BIOST 517 can also be taken alone or as part of the BIOST 517-518 series. The Department of Biostatistics has also created a guide to help students make decisions.

Qualitative Methods - is a qualitative methods course required?

Students taking G H 531 will receive some instruction in qualitative methods, however, if a student's thesis is primarily qualitative or uses mixed methods, a qualitative methods course is required. G H 538 (even years)/G H 590 (odd years), Advanced Qualitative Methods in Public Health (spring), is very popular.  Other courses can satisfy this requirement if approved in advance by staff.

Autumn quarter required courses

G H 511, 4 credits, Problems in Global Health

G H 531, 3 credits without lab; 4 credits with lab, Research and Evaluation Methods in Global Health 

G H 593, 1 credit, MPH Workshop

EPI 511, 4 credits, Introduction to Epidemiology (or EPI 512, 4 credits, Epidemiologic Methods I; if take 512, must also take EPI 513 in winter quarter) 

BIOST 511, 4 credits, Medical Biometry I (or BIOST 517, 4 credits, Applied Biostatistics I) IF NOT TAKING BIOST 508 in winter quarter.


Gettting Around 

Husky Card

The Husky Card is the official identification card for members of the UW community. Students will want to get this card as soon as arriving on campus. Husky Cards give students access to library and transportation services, activities and entertainment, and building entry. The card can be obtained at the Husky Card Account & ID Center. Students must provide their student ID number and U.S. state- or federally-issued photo identification (such as a driver's license or passport) to request the card. Pictures taken for Husky Cards will be what faculty use for their visual class list.

UPASS (Transit Pass)

A transit pass (UPASS) is included in tuition and is students key to public transportation in the Puget Sound area. The UPASS is embedded in Husky Cards and is activated one-week before school starts. Transportation Services is the go-to place for information and resources on getting to campus via bus, light rail, bike, walking, and more.

  • Bicycle - Seattle is a bike-friendly city with many streets with bike lanes and paved city trails.  
  • Link Light Rail - There is a Light Rail station on campus at Husky Stadium which links to Capitol Hill, Downtown, South Seattle, and SeaTac Airport. 
  • Bus - Seattle's bus system is very good with several routes serving the U-District and campus. Most buses are equipped with bike racks.


Housing is easier to come by in the summer months and early September. As the UW's first day of class draws close there is a rush on housing near UW.  

Student Housing

Students interested in Student Housing (through the UW) should apply soon after confirming enrollment. Student Housing and Radford Court are popular with families.

Off-campus Housing

Students looking for off-campus housing are encouraged to find housing near campus to facilitate ease of attending evening events, group projects, and access to UW libraries (also because parking is hard to find and expensive). International students can request a verification of enrollment letter from the program if requested by a potential landlord.

Off-campus housing searches are often done through:

More on housing, including neighborhood and transportation information

Housing Info 2017.docx