Master of Public Health

Admission to the Global Health MPH Program allows students to continue graduate study and research at the University of Washington only as long as they maintain satisfactory performance and progress toward completion of their graduate degree program. Students must follow the policies listed below as long as they are current students at the University of Washington. 

In addition to the above, the Global Health MPH Program expects the below from students in the program. Students must: 

  • complete program requirements in a professional, respectful, and ethical manner;
  • maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher;
  • complete incomplete grades in required courses the quarter following the incomplete was given;
  • complete all aspects of their practicum within the written timeline agreed upon between student, practicum faculty adviser, and site supervisor;
  • and complete all aspects of their thesis within the written timeline agreed upon between student, thesis chair, and committee.

Student grades are evaluated by the program at the end of each quarter. Progress on thesis, practicum, and other projects is evaluated through meetings between faculty and staff. In situations where a student is not making satisfactory progress, per definition above, the below recommendations will be made, beginning with Warn or Probation, and be effective the quarter the recommendation is made. Please see also Graduate School Memo 16: Academic Performance and Progress. In all cases, a letter from the program director or associate director will outline the circumstances leading to the recommendation and actions necessary to correct the deficiency. A copy of the letter will also be placed in the student’s file. Typically only one notice will be given for each category.   

  • Warn. This recommendation is not reported to the Graduate School and does not appear on the student's transcript. Students may be requested to meet with program leadership. It is not necessary for a warning to precede a probation recommendation.
  • Probation. The program sends probation recommendations to the Graduate School. If approved, the status will appear on the student's unofficial transcript. Students will be requested to meet with program leadership.
  • Final Probation. The program sends final probation recommendations to the Graduate School. If approved, the status will appear on the student's unofficial transcript. Students will be requested to meet with program leadership.
  • Drop. The program sends these recommendations to the Graduate School and the status will appear on the student's transcript. This is the final action for students who have not corrected the condition(s) that caused the final probation recommendation within the time limit specified by the graduate program.

Appeals to the above recommendations should be submitted in writing to the MPH Program Director within a month of notification. Appeals will be responded to within a month of receipt. 

The School of Public Health, under which the Department sits, seeks to partner with students to resolve conflicts and address concerns that arise during the student's educational program. Information about the concerns that arise will be used to understand the impact our institution has on students and to work towards equitable practices and an inclusive environment.

The Student Concern Policy includes:

  • Formal and information processes and procedures students can take if concerns arise
  • Alternative/anonymous reporting mechanisms for student concerns
  • Resolution mechanisms beyond the School 

For Policy Implementation, Questions or Amendment, contact Juanita Ricks, 206.616.3198

Graduate students are required to maintain graduate status during their program of study. To maintain graduate status, a student must be enrolled full-time, part-time, or be approved to be On-Leave from the time of first enrollment until graduation. Summer quarter On-Leave enrollment is automatic for all graduate students who were either registered or officially On-Leave during the prior Spring Quarter. International students should check with the International Student Services Office to prior to requesting leave.  

To be eligible to request Graduate On-Leave status, a student must be in good academic standing and have registered for at least one quarter as a graduate student at the University of Washington immediately prior to going on-leave (international students must complete three consecutive quarters - please consult the International Student Services Office for eligibility). Students must request leave on a quarterly basis. 

  • Students can submit the request as early as two weeks prior to the first day of instruction and must submit payment of the non-refundable fee no later than 5:00 p.m. PST on the last day of instruction.

On-Leave status entitles students to use the University libraries and maintain access to their email accounts. They are not entitled to extensive faculty and staff counsel, examinations of any type (except for language competency), thesis/dissertation filing, appointments as Academic Student Employees, University housing, student insurance, or any form of financial assistance. For complete details regarding the on-leave, continuous enrollment and reinstatement policies, refer to Graduate School Memo 9 and Graduate School information on Graduate On-Leave Status

A matriculated student previously registered in a degree program who has failed to maintain graduate status but who wishes to resume studies in their previous program must submit to program manager a "proposal to complete degree". The proposal must: 

  • include a timeline to complete remaining degree requirement and address a plan to complete any incomplete: coursework, practicum, and/or thesis.
  • state if the student is resuming a prior thesis or practicum and embarking on a new thesis or practicum. In either case, student must show they have been in communication with faculty they will be working with.

The  proposal will be reviewed by program leadership. If approved, the student should submit a reinstatement request to the Graduate School for the quarter they wish to re-enter the program. The Graduate School will confirm a students’ eligibility for reinstatement. If eligible, the student will be notified to pay a non-refundable $250 Reinstatement Fee to process reinstatement and return to active student status the quarter the request was made for.

For complete details regarding the on-leave, continuous enrollment and reinstatement policies, refer to Graduate School Memo 9.

All UW students who travel abroad and whose trip includes activities relating to their degree (practicum, thesis, independent study) must comply with the Student International Travel Policy. This includes international students traveling to their home country.

Students have two options to be in compliance with this policy. Please visit the Office of Global Affairs website for more information and FAQs and contact staff advisers with questions. In addition, please review the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). After signing up students will automatically receive current information on the country where they will be traveling.  Students will also receive updates, including Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts (where appropriate). 

Option #1 (preferred): Register for credit through UW Study Abroad Independent Learning Program (preferred)

By enrolling in UW Study Abroad Independent Learning (IL), students maintain current student status while enrolling in G H 700 (thesis), G H 595 (Practicum) or G H 600 (Independent Study).

Students do NOT pay standard tuition or program fees for credits earned and instead pay a flat administrative fee, currently $350 per quarter, plus the cost of travel insurance coverage.  More information on insurance requirements and waivers can be found here. Students do NOT register for classes, the Study Abroad Office registers students for classes. 

For more information and to apply, see the Independent Learning web page. The priority deadlines are below; students should apply a month in advance if traveling to a destination that is considered high-risk.

  • Autumn Quarter – July 15
  • Winter Quarter – November 1
  • Spring Quarter – February 1
  • Summer Quarter – April 15

Students traveling with UW Study Abroad will meet the requirements of the Student International Travel Policy and do not need to take additional action. 

Option #2: Register travel &  purchase medical and travel insurance

Students whose travel abroad  includes activities relating to their degree, and who do not participate in the Independent Learning program, must take the below action to be in compliance with the Student International Travel Policy.  

Please note, registering travel means the UW knows where students are located should an emergency happen where traveling. It does not mean they are registered for credit and therefore have current student status.   Only students who are registered for credit through traditional mechanisms or through UW Study Abroad Independent Learning Program are considered as having current student status.  

  1. Register international travel with the Office of Global Affairs.
  2. Purchase comprehensive medical and evacuation insurance while abroad.
  3. If necessary, (dependent on travel destination) request a waiver for travel to high risk destinations.

The School of Public Health requires MPH students to show documentation of protection against a number of vaccine-preventable diseases as well as screening for tuberculosis. The Health Sciences Immunization Program (HSIP) manages and tracks student immunization status for SPH students via CastleBranch. Failure to meet the requirements of HSIP could result in students not being able to register for courses. 

Instructions for registering with CastleBranch will be provided to incoming students. Participation in Health Sciences Immunization Program (HSIP) is mandatory. Students will pay a one-time $35 set-up fee with CastleBranch and then an annual fee of $72 which will be divided up and billed to over the course of autumn, winter, and spring quarters.   

Students participating in the HSIP program are exempted from the UW Immunization Requirement which requires proof of immunity to measles. Therefore, measles documentation should ONLY be sent to HSIP. The HSIP office will communicate directly with Hall Health.

Health insurance is required for all UW students. Since the Affordable Care Act went in to place, domestic students are expected to carry their own health insurance. See information on the Hall Health website for more information on the ACA and insurance options for students at the UW.

International students in F-1 or J-1 status are required to purchase the UW International Student Health Insurance Plan (iSHIP) during the registration process. International students must also make every effort to be insured during their entire stay in the U.S.; see also ISS Health Insurance webpage.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) provides F-1 students an opportunity for hands-on work experience (work authorization) related to a student’s academic field of study. OPT is a benefit to international students studying in the U.S. and is managed through the International Student Services (ISS) office.