How to Apply
All applicants apply online through the UW Graduate School Admissions Website. On the site, applicants set up a profile and submit an online application and fee to the UW Graduate School. All materials are submitted electronically. (Note: The University of Washington does not participate in SOPHAS.)
**Please do not begin an application prior to September 1. An application begun early may be incomplete.**
Criteria for Admission
The Department of Global Health recruits students who wish to pursue a long-term career in global public health, whether in ministries of health, non-governmental organizations, academic institutions, or the private sector. The admissions committee considers any and all indicators of future success, including: past work, service, and research experience; the level of enthusiasm and detail in letters of recommendation; previous academic records and performance on standardized tests; a written statement of purpose; and the ability to discuss research or practice work and future goals. By considering all variables, the committee is able to select students who will succeed in a challenging interdisciplinary program.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in the USA or its equivalent from a foreign institution.
- Work experience: Each MPH track has requirements regarding experience, which should be read carefully prior to applying.
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to the field of global health.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores: GRE scores (General test only) are required unless an applicant holds a doctoral level degree (PhD, JD, DDS, MD or other doctoral degree) from an accredited United States institution. Applicants to the MD-MPH or HME tracks ONLY may submit MCAT scores in lieu of GREs.
- English proficiency: For students who have not completed a degree in an institution where English is the primary language of instruction, results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) are required. For further details, see the Graduate School English Language Proficiency Requirements.
The online application is fairly self-explanatory, but for step-by-step instructions please refer to the
International applicants, WWAMI MD students, and other concurrent degree applicants should also refer to the specific instructions below:
MPH Alumni Mara Brain in Uganda